Need help changing front axle shaft assembly

Joop94

I have a clicking sound at low speed from front axle. Axle shaft assembly joints appear worn. Please help with instruction how to change. Should I buy parts from junk yard and change myself or send to mechanic?
Thanks.

ok.... jack up by axle
remove wheel
remove axle nut
remove hub, NOT WITH A PULLER, you may pull the hub apart... Back the 3 bolts (which you have removed, and should replace for these steps) out so the head is about 1/4 inch out. With a loose fitting socket, or a centerpunch, knock the bolts back inward to knock the hub out of its seat. as the head meets the surface, back the bolts out another 1/16 to 1/8 inch... when you have it far enough out, a wedge type tool may be beneficial to you in pulling the hub from its pressed seat.. once it is knocked loose, remove the bolts, and you will be on your way..

then out comes the axle... get the axle in a vice, then pop the inner clips out with a screwdriver and hammer... then pound the joints out... then the new ones back in... make sure it is greased up good... make sure it moves nice...

put everything back together...

then the MOST important part.... go test them out... get yourself into some mud, rocks, hills, anything that you could do to make us proud

Thanks for the info. I think the u joints are bad. The u joints are not available from Quadratec, so I didn't think I could buy just the joints. I will try just replacing them, but if not, then the detailed intructions should come in real handy and I'll get out the BIG tools.
U da man!

you can get the joints at ANY auto parts store

What universal Joint is better?? I have enquired to a few shops and parts stores. regreasable joints seem to be the better. Is spicer a better brand, being from the original Dana????

My joint has been going for a while and it's just ticking like crazy with a huge gap between the u-joint and housing.

spicer joints are probably all you need but that being said i use precision. and OX and CTM make better u-joints than spicer but are $$$$$

Back