fuel gauge and oil pres. gauge not working

1981CJ5

My fuel gauge and my oil pressure gauge are not working on my '81 CJ5. I think I read somewhere that these two gauges share a common ground. Does anyone know where this ground is? Just want to check all the easy stuff before I buy a new fuel and oil pres. sending unit.

Thanks. Joel

on my 87, theres a 6" braided ground strap that goes from the top of the head (#5cyl area) to the firewall.

THe neg term on battery goes to the block (#1 cyl area) just below the alt or (AC if i had it).

I had simalar probs and by polishing them up with a wire brush it solved the prob

You mean to tell me those gauges are supposed to work? **laughs** We have three CJs on the road now and only one has working gauges.

no kiddin, I don't think i've ever seen a CJ that had more than 1 gauge working at any one time :D

I was just thinking of removeing mine and patching the holes with a some sheet metal and a rivet or two. then draw on new faces and hands set just at the optium setting so I never have to worry about em again. hehehe Tug :wink:

If they stopped working at the same time, definately check the grounds. Also, If they are three wire gauges, check that they are recieving a constant hot as well as the ground.

-Nick :!:

Back