When I come to a stop my engine revs to 1000-2000 rpms

Laubs

I've got a 97 Wrangler with 80,000 on it. At a stop my rpm's are at 1000-2000 rpms. When this happens, I'll tap the accelerator and the engine will then idle at the normal rpms. This happens every other time I come to a stop. Help!?!?!

Just a guess but it could be IAC valve or a engine coolant temp sensor.
Both help when the engine thinks it is cold. Obviously it shouldn't be cold unless yours is not heating up do to a stickiy T-stat. Two other things, if you have air each time the clutch of the compressor kicks in it adjusts the idle by 1-2 hundred. and also your powersteering also does the same thing. These could be going a bit wacked. Not very likely though.

That's about all I got for guesses. I am not up on the normal problems of the newer 4.0 ltr or 2.5.

My money is on the throttle position sensor or TPS! On the back of your throttle body about 25 buck for the part be carefull with the screws they are a pain to remove. good luck Tug

You guys are on the right track. It is probably going to be one of those two sensors (TPS or IAC Valve). I think Autozone has the equipment to check your sensors, so have them check the sensor before you go out and buy one.-Al

Yes, definately check in the following order the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the Idle air stepper motor (IAC). In addition to that, a good throttle body cleaning can help.

Autozone will be able to check any codes the computer may have, since your Jeep has an ODB-II computer system :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back