Low RPMs

mgaron

I Just fot my new jeep and when driving around town it is more convienient to start in 2nd gear because 1st is so quick. By doing this the rpms start out low a little less than 1000. I was just wondering if running at low RPMs hurt or did anything that it wasnt supposed to.

Thanks

P.S. I love the new jeep and often times catch myself in class wishing i could go drive it.

If it aint chugging when you pull out and everything is working smooth how can it hurt anything. You have a high tourqe low rpm engin under the hood you will sone learn to enjoy it! tug

when you let out on the clutch and the engin goes chug chug chug chokeing for air and fule! Sorry I was not more expressfull in my discription. Heck I knew what I was tryng to say so I thought everyone else would. hehehe tug

mgaron said:
I Just fot my new jeep and when driving around town it is more convienient to start in 2nd gear because 1st is so quick. By doing this the rpms start out low a little less than 1000. I was just wondering if running at low RPMs hurt or did anything that it wasnt supposed to.

Thanks

not at all... low rpms are good for a motor.. if the engine shakes, you might be in too high a gear but wil not damage anything... might stall tho... most engines idle between 600-800 RPM if they are running right and warmed up....

I'll add to the chugging comment. Two other things to keep an ear out for is "pinging" This is a light ping sounded caused by detonation from too heavy of a load. (There are other reasons for pinging but we'll stick with your question.) Also if you have to feather the clutch too much to get a steady smooth take off, then you are torturing your clutch.

I have a T-18 with granny so I never use first. Heck I can even smoothly leave in 3rd.

So it depends on what terrain your on. And if you notice none of the above then you probably fine.

Thanks guys i appreciate the help. Ill listen for pinging and try not to feather the clutch. by the way when do you know your feathering it too much.

Thanks agian

Starting out in 2nd won't hurt your jeep, but remember that your motor will last longer if you allow it to run at all different rpm bands. start out in 2nd, but every now and then, slowly accelerate in first to about 4000 rpm's. This is not neccesary from every red light, just once and a while to keep the motor in good shape!!

Yeah... I had a similar concern. Why does the shift light pop up so early... makes me feel like I'm killing the engine at 3800 rpm!!!???

other than revving it up out of gear, i've never had my jeep over 3000... i'm sure it is safe to go over that... but for some reason, i just never do it... doesn't feel right... about the shift light... it is activated by the map sensor... when the pressure in the intake manifold reaches a certain point, it will sense a certain load and suggest that you shift.... it is basically the "shift if you want to get the best fuel economy" light

A different question about the Speedometer

Thanks Snitty, I didn't know that - always thought it wanted me to shift when I reached like 2000 rpm! I just got back fm driving aound and found that I could really ring out a lot more power taking off from a light if I let it hit that 3500-4000 mark. The Civic next to me seemed a bit suprised too! :shock:

Back