Help with Hi-Lift jack

X_Factor

I just bought a cast and stamped steel Hi-Lift jack yesterday and mounted it on the back bumper of my TJ. Just to try things out, I started jacking up the rear end left side, using the bumper as the lifting point. Since I did not have the front wheels chocked, the Jeep started rolling forward and almost came completely off the jack! I'm worried that this may happen to me out on the trail or on the highway. Is there a better jack lifting point I should be using? Maybe on the side of the Jeep. I don't have rocker guards and don't want to bend the body sheet metal.

$970 for steering gear box too much???

Hi-lifts hurt or kill more people a year then we care to know about.

ALWAYS: chalk your wheels!!!

ALWAYS: insure the jack in on sound hard ground.

ALWAAAAAAAAYS: fear it and never let your guard down.

Always: Lift from a strong body point. And insure it is not one that might slip out. (if it flexes as you lift then FIND ANOTHER POINT!!!!)

They are awesome and nobody should be on a trail with them, but they demand respect and attention.

I had my hands on top of my tire I was pulling off my rig. Suddenly without warning it dropped. The Jack hit my freind in the legs and up ended him flat on his face. I pulled my hands out loosing just the very tip of my fingernail on my pinky finger as the fender egde slammed on the top of the tire. I would have lost any finger or arm left in there and my buddy had some major bruises on his legs. He stopped limping about a week later.

I hope some others will point other things that help them be a bit more safe.

Black Diamond Lifts

The Hi-lift jack is a great off-road tool, as you may already know, it can be used as a winch, can be used to unseat tires from rims, and of course lifting things up.
There are some safety factors I think the owners manulas might not cover though (can't say for sure, it's been a few decades since I've read mine!) Whenever i have to use my hi-lift, I always: ensure it has secure footing. Wouldn't do me or my jeep any good to have it "kick out cuz that damn rock rolled out from under it" No No.
While performing tha actual lifting of any vehicle, MAKE SURE OPPOSITE END IS CHOCKED!

Chock the opposite end and if you are lifting the back, put it in 4WD and lock the hubs. I do not have a factory jack in my CJ and therefore my Hi-lift is my only jack. Because of this, I carry one jack stand in the back in case I need to change a tire. I can jack up the tire, put the jack stand under it and then let the jack down to set the Jeep on the jack stand. Then I can work in confidence that I will not topple the jack over.

The Hi-lift jack is a great off-road tool, as you may already know, it can be used as a winch, can be used to unseat tires from rims, and of course lifting things up.
There are some safety factors I think the owners manulas might not cover though (can't say for sure, it's been a few decades since I've read mine!) Whenever i have to use my hi-lift, I always: ensure it has secure footing. Wouldn't do me or my jeep any good to have it "kick out cuz that damn rock rolled out from under it" No No.
While performing tha actual lifting of any vehicle, MAKE SURE OPPOSITE END IS CHOCKED! (Depending on terrain, chocking may not be required) parking brake will help also. What I've discovered (one time the hard way) is that when I'm lifting and lowereing a vehicle, it is very important to NOT remove your hand from the jack handle while a load is still on the jack! If your hand slips off for any reason, or is removed, that handle will not stop flopping up and down (with force)until it's beat you sensless, and the load is on the ground! That could be a while if the load was lifted way up!
Lift the vehicle only as high as necessary to complete whats needed. There are a few more suggestions, but I've run out of time.......

I´ve slapped myself in the jaw once and had a couple of near misses, I always listen for that tell tale click, before I let loose of the handle. An occasional shot of oil or WD 40 keeps things functioning properly.
My brother pinned his hand between the brake drum and the ground, jack stand and chock, is good advice.
I must have a dozen chock blocks, laying around, home made, bought, found. Always keep a couple handy.
Never go under a car, on a jack. Never go under a car on a jack. NEVER GO UNDER A CAR ON A JACK! (or a cheap jack stand) Learned that one the hard way.
I´ve also got four sets, of jack stands laying around, sturdy type, not cheap sheit metal.

Greenreaper got a crash course (pardon the expression) in Highlift use while here in Tennessee. I had no more than said keep a good hold on that jack handle or it will get away from you before you know it and Pop up comes the handle right into his cheek. Banged him pretty hard. Always treat that jack as if it can kill you cause brother it will kill you if it gets a chance. There are several tricks that no one really speaks about useing the highlift and I am not going to mention them here. But it is one of the most desirealbe tools to have on any off road trip. Just never turn your back on it. tug

Tug's right! I have a small scar from that #%$&@* jack! But as everyone's said... they are a Godsend on the trail. Chuck's right too... NEVER GO UNDER A CAR (OR JEEP) THAT HELD UP BY A JACK ALONE!!! I've had one near miss... and that's all I needed. My $.02

I appreciate all of your comments. However, I still have a question about a lifting point on the side of the Jeep. Is there a good lifting point on the side that won't bend? I'm already carrying around a ton of crap in the Jeep as it is and don't know if I have room to carry a set of chocks everywhere I go. Seems to me that lifting it from the side would eliminate and forward or reverse roll. Any thoughts on this?

Hello X_Factor,

What am I missing here?

Why can't the OEM jack supplied with the Jeep be used for changing tires? I can see a problem if the jeep is sunk into the earth while off-road, but on a highway or highway shoulder?

Sometimes my grasp of the obvious is underwhelming, but I honestly don't understand the problem.

Gadget

without some type of rock rail or nerf bar you'll most likely do damage to the paint or tub if you lift from the side. Also lifting from the side does not really eliminate foreward and reverse roll, the jack will nearly as easy go sideways as the jeep rolls foreward or backward. They make stamped steel chocks that fold down to about an inch tall and take up almost no space, if your offroading you can usually find rocks or logs to chock with, your factory jack fits nicely under your seat, so theres no reason to really remove it, it can also be used as a make-shift chock by turning the foot to face the tire, in urban settings you typically wont have blow outs so you will have time to get somewhere safe, curbs and parking blocks work great

If there is a time that you have to use it to get yourself outta being stuck you prolly will not have to worry about choks. However, the Front Axle will turn freely if you are on paved or smooth turf. Even the Brake will not stop it. The only time this is a problem, is when, you are lifting both rear tires off the ground. The "High-Lift" part is really only needed out on the trail. Haven't you ever used the Old Bumper Jacks? They are the same basic things.

Back