Clutch/Transmission Issue - HELP!

hi_c

:(
I've been having some problems with my transmission (or clutch) lately. I find that the clutch "catches" when down shifting or when shifting forward at high RPMs. The common thread here is the high RPMs. Because when down shifting, generally the RPMs go up since I'm using it to slow down. It's grinds the worst when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and down shifting in all gears. Is this a problem with the transmission (synchros, gear cluster?) or with my clutch?

Just to start the topic, I bled the clutch Master Cylinder last night and it's still doing it. Also, I have 2 month old Pennzoil Synchromesh "liquid butter" in the transmission.

Anybody have any thoughts?

specifics: 89 YJ, 2.5L, AX5, NP231

C

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, Start looking for a trans.

Convert it if you can afford it. Rebuilding a nightmare will just be a smooth nightmare until it is ready to rear its ugly head again. The way this transmission is built/designed makes no sense. It can not possibly work correctly for long.

what do you mean when you say the clutch "catches"...

careful when downshifting... its not a big rig... our transmissions were not designed to be a braking mechanism... brake pads are like $15 a set... a transmission costs a lot more... i prefer to use my brakes... and i only downshift after i have decreased speed to a certain gear's usual operating speed

Catches, grinds, chatters, before going into gear. I have a donor AX5 lined up, but don't want to spend the $ if it's the clutch. Know what I mean?

C

Back