CJ Opinion

indiemo

Hey all. In today's paper was a 1980 CJ7 for sale for $1000. I might call the guy and take a look at it tonight. It'd be cool to have a trail Jeep in addition to my TJ. Only thing I'm hesitant about is that it's an automatic. You guys have any opinions on a CJ with an automatic? It's mated up to the 258.

I would prefer an auto for rock crawling but I am not sure if it is any good. I would say for $1000 you could buy it and drop a standard in.

By all means,DONT get the quadratrac transfercase!It is a full time sort of deal on some cj's.

I'm sure i don't need to tell you the obvious like checking for rust on key structure parts, signs of abuse, and *SERIOUS* oil leaks, but $1000 isnt that bad even with all that considered.
Check the axle width to see if you are getting a wide track or not.
Dropping in a manual transmission should be easy enough, but to tell you the truth, i have no idea how an auto CJ would handle... Hell.. I didn't even know they MADE any! :D

no wide tracks in 80 from the factory
cj7 were made for autos b/c 5s are too short

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm probably not going to get it. I really need to be attacking some debt more aggressively and spending $1000 on another Jeep won't really help me out with that. It's good to know about the quadratrac t-case for the future though.

Back