R.C. 3" Suspension Lift Installed

beachjeep

Well I finally got my lift installed and I think she turned out pretty good. From what I can tell so far it rides pretty good. Its still a Jeep though. Put some pics up on my site if anyone is interested.

http://neenan.dsdhosting.com/album02/IMG_0499

Im still messing with the pitman arm, it doesnt want to come off. I broke 2 Craftsman 1/2 inch ratchets using a large puller. Has anyone ran across this problem before? Any ideas. It used to be parked at Carolina Beach with the previoius owner so I know some rust is in there. Soaked with Aerokroil and hoping it will eat that salt away. [/img]

I used heat and a hammer and a long bar to run down throught the motor compartment to the top of the pitman arm. That was the only way mine would come off. Now if you go this route be carefull not to heat up the gearing box to much and cause dammage there. Wrap the gear box in wet towels and heat and work fast then drown the area with cool water for a few to get the heat out. Worked great for me but be carefull and use your own judgement here. :wink: tug

if you don't plan on keeping your stock pitman.. or never using it again.... use a cutoff wheel

Use a 4" angle grinder and make two small cuts in the pitman arm around the shaft, being careful to not go all the way to the shaft. Then pry something in there, pop it with a chisel.

Or, using a puller, tighten the puller then whack with a BFH (hammer). Tighten, whack, tighten, whack, rinse and repeat until it pops off. Don't use heat, but maybe try PB BLaster, it's the best pentrant around.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I bit the bullet and took it to a shop around the corner and he got it off with an impact gun and a huge puller. Cost $20 - best 20.00 I ever spent. - Now all I need is a steering stabalizer, sway bar disco's and an alignment and Im good to go.

Nice lift. What about some meatier tires? Those look a little bald with so much space under the flares. Also, skip the sway bar disco's... you don't need them. I've been without them for sometime now. No problems taking corners. You're gonna want to slow down with a higher COG now anyhow.

C

Hey, Thanks. Well today I finally installed my rr trackbar relocater bracket. That was b*&%$. I know most people say go without it but I dont do much serious off roading and It's a piece of mind I think. Anyway, its all done -every bolt. (many new ones).

I would like to get larger tires. I bought those 31's about 4 months ago when I installed my 2" body lift and they were perfect. I am running with the 2.5 in there so I dont want to go too big. I would like to get some 32's eventually - once those are worn out.

I think I probably will do the disco's just again for piece of mind and my kids also ride with me often. I feel better with them on and when I do go offroad , off they go. I think its worth the 100 bucks.

I like the lift a lot. Everything bolted up nicely except the rr track bar relocater but I finally got it. Hope the springs hold up. Have heard both positive and negative about rough country - hopefully I will have a positive experience.

looks good!
I need to get down to carolina beach and cruise out on the sand,used to do that alot with friends and now that i have my own i cant wait! do they still let you go in the sand year round at the end of the island?

Quite a few jeepers in our club use Rough Country and I haven't heard a complaint yet.

Yes, the North End and South End of Carlolina Beach is still open year round. I think the south end closes shortly for the Turtles but the North End is always open. I go down quite a bit. Its a good time. Have to be careful about the dunes - the police monitor it quite regularly.

Good to hear that about rough country. Well see how it does. Thanks guys.

Back