what should i do about tires with 7 inches of lift

Jeepenstevo

I have a 1990 YJ Jeep Wrangler with a 4.2L inline 6 engine. I have already installed a 3 inch body lift and i am gona be install a 3.5 inch suspention lift in a few days. People have told me that 33s would be kinda small with that much lift. But ive herd that if i went to 35s i would haft to regear. But some people have told me that they had a jeep on 35s with stock gears in it was fine but just a little slow. If someone could give me some advise on what size tires i should go to and if i will need to regear that would be really helpfull thanks.[addsig]

There is usually a 5-8% difference in gear sets and about the same in two tire sizes. Like 215/75 and 235/75. If you measure the outside diameter of both tires and times one by a hundred and divide the answer by the diameter of the other tire, the number bigger or smaller than 100 is the % of difference. this will give you an idea of what to expect. Going up more than one gear set rarley works out well.[addsig]

Ill really dont understand what ur trying to say. I am just curious if i would be better wiht 33s or 35s with seven inches of lift. [addsig]

Auto or stick??

35's would be too much strain on stock axles,In My Opinion.

33's are still big for stock jeep gearing.[addsig]

Its a stick. Would 33's be to small of a tire for that much lift though[addsig]

lol no one seems to want to answer your question do they ?? 33's usually need about 4 inches of lift to clear enought room to have some travel so yea.......a 7 inch lift will probably look a lot better with 35's. 33's would work but it would look more like he jeep was riding on stilts....plus you will be more top heavy without the extra tire height to offset the lift. 35's aren't that much more expensive so I would go with them...plus you get the extra group clearance which is always a plus. as for gearing....new gears will make your jeep a lot happier....but it's up to your descretion...depends on how much you aren going to wheel it [addsig]

thanks for that response. Well if im not gona be wheelen that much but ill be on the street alot what will be better?[addsig]

Just an oppinion, but what I was trying to say, was if the Jeep came stock with 27" tall tires and say a 3.73 gear set and you went up to 29" (3.53 gear set) 31 (3.23 gear set)

33" (3.03 gear set) 35" I guess about a 2.7? never been there gear set. You´d probably smoke the clutch trying to get out of the driveway and what used to be first gear would be second gear ad nausium. These gear sets are approximate as the manufactures are constantly tuning the drive trains to meet fleet emmision standards. But a little bit of math will save spending a whole lot of money, then not being happy with the results. I have a 4X with 4.11 rear and 35´s where a bit to much, even with the V-8 and had periodic drive train problems. A few feet of mud is an awful lot of wieght to be pushing around while driving out of the max torgue range of the vehicle. What used to be low gear ended up being somewhere between !st and 2nd.

Just a thought.[addsig]

Got somthing for ya, I have a 91 yj, with 31s and stock gears, when i left from the factory size tires to 31, i should have just thrown fith gear in the shit can, the gears stink on jeeps when you get oversized tires, you will find that if you encounter the slightes, up hill go on the interstate, (ie on ramp or bridge) you might as well get ready to down shift, because with a small grade you gonna lose atleast 5mph, and when you go to shift to fourth you might as well go ahead and aim for third, also if you go with 12.50 which you will if your going for 35's you will rub the leaf spring bracket on your front because i do it with 10.50's hope this helps

[addsig]

Here's a thought. Get rid of the 3" body lift, go only with the 3" suspension lift, and run the 33's without worry. Body lifts only make you top heavy anyhow. But if you already lowered your radiator and extended your steering shaft and all that crap, well... then it sounds like you are on your way to a serious rig... might as well get re-geared.[addsig]

I went ahead and put the lift on all seven inches. 35's fit fine but i think im gone go wiht 33's because ther not that much smaller that 35's. [addsig]

the 35's are probably closer to being 33.5 inches tall

and the 33's are closer to 32's

I have never seen a tire that was as tall as it said on the sidewall
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back