4 Hi engaged at Highway speeds... Opinions?

In my best "Pushy Software Salesman" voice...

"SSSSOOoooooooooo,...nice day, isn't it?" (Rain rains, thunder thunders)

Two guys are on an airplane which is bound for Hawaii.
Guy-1 exclaims, "Boy! "I can't wait to get to Havaii."
Guy-2 corrects, "It is Hawaii, not Havaii!'
Guy-1 retorts, "It is Havaii!!!!
Guy-2 replies, "Let's ask this guy over here."
Guy-1 responds, "OK"
Guy-2 to Guy-3, "Sir, is our destination pronounced "Hawaii" or "Havaii?"
Guy-3 answers, "It is pronounced, "Havaii."
Guy-1 says to Guy-3, "Thank you, Sir."
Guy-2 sulks.
Guy-3 says, "Ach! You are velcome."

Moral: "When you ask people for advice, you need to know where those people are coming from."

:mrgreen:

Gadget

mmm, okay Going back to the original question, In my opinion, you should not cause any damage to your transfer case or transmission if you use 4wd hi in higher speeds. My owner manual states the the 4wd should be engaged under 55 mph, but it does not say that we cannot use the 4wd going faster than 55 mph.-Al

Most four wheel drive systems, going back decades are biased to the front axle. By a slightly different diff. ratio front and rear or a slightly different transfer ratio (helps steering). You got to take other things into concideration also, the wieght in the front, is usually more than the rear, the distance from the center of axle to the ground is different front and rear (especially in pick-ups). The distance from the axle to the ground, is closer to your actual rolling circumferance.
Having said that, driving a part time transfer, in excessive traction conditions, at high speeds, will cook that sucker. I´ve seen them get so hot, you can hear the hiss, when water drops off of the undercarriage onto the transfer. I know a guy, that drove his NP 241 for almost half year, before it fell apart, all the time in 4X. Thought it was an Audi Quatro.

If your hubs are locked and you don't feel any intense pressure or grinding while trying to engage 4hi then it should'nt cause any damage to do so. 8)

If the np231 is not a 50/50 split , how the could the owner's manual tell you that you can shift into 4wd at highway speeds? if they were different, wouldn't that grind like crazy? I've driven my YJ at highway speeds in heavy snow and not so much as a whisper from it. I've put her into 4wd going 50 mph and it was smooth as can be (also in snow).
I was always under the impression that only full-time 4wd's had the torque-split thing. I'm not saying it's right - just what I thought (think)!

Oh, and if your rear wheels are dragging (in whatever vehicle), you probably don't need to be in 4wd! :wink:

Back