Lift Shackles & 2" susp. lift

hi_c

Does anyone have the above combination of 1" lift shackles and a 2" suspension lift? I'm afraid to put on a 4" with the shackles because it will be too much and then I'll have to extend my drive shafts, get a dropped pitman, etc. Plus it wouldn't fit in my garage. But I wonder how a 2" like the rancho suspension lift, along with my 1" shackle lift will do. Will the springs sag more quickly? Any one with this combo, please respond on any feelings you have. And if you don't have this setup, but know about it, let me know. Thanks. ps. I have an 89 YJ.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have a 93 YJ with a 2 1/2 inch spring lift and revolver shackles which bring it up another inch or so. If you install a lift around this size and plan on installing bigger tires such as 31's which is what I have, you might want to get proper sized axle stops so your tires don't rub in the wheel wells off road. I have destroyed my plastic fender flares and cut grooves into my tires from them rubbing up into the fenders. If anything, I'd think that a smaller lift such as this one verses a 4" lift would be less prone to sagging. As for parking garages, I can get into most places with no problem with a little room to spare. (Remember your soft top sits a little higher than your hard top.) I'm going to install a 1" body lift to increase the room in the wheel well and still keep the center of gravity low for better handleing. You may want to look into getting a sway bar with quick disconnects (they're not too much) or just removing it all together which is what I did to get more suspension travel when off-road or you will find you're driving on three wheels with one in the air all the time. With new suspension, you probably won't notice much of a difference in handleing without the sway bar but as it gets older it will get more noticeable.[addsig]

do your front shackles stick out pretty far or not really? since I first posted this post, I've decided to go wth the Rubicon Express 2.5" lift along with my 1.5" shackles. I hate how they stick out and decrease my angle of approach. You said you have 31"s, could you fit 32"s without trouble or rubbing? Cutting flares is not big deal to me.

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

My shackles are different than regular shackles so they don't sit the same. I have Revolver Shackles by Tera Flex. By using revolver shackles, I can keep my jeep fairly low and still get alot of wheel travel without a huge lift. I don't know if they stick out any more or less than normal lift shackles. I could fit 32's no problem but I would be hitting the fenders all the time off road. The problem with my 31's isn't really the plastic fender flares (I don't care if they get messed up), it's the metal lip inside the wheel-well where the plastic flares screw into. My tires hit this metal lip and it cuts into the tires. I guess I should get around to putting in the proper bump stops.....I've been holding off till I do my 1" body lift.

- You said you didn't want to go with a 4" suspension lift but you've gone with a 2.5" spring lift and 1.5" shackle lift which equals out to 4" anyway. Why not just go with the 4" spring lift instead?[addsig]

well, mainly because It won't fit in my garage then. I really don't understand why the garage ceiling is 9ft, and the entrance is only 6.5ft. No sense to me. I have an over the top roof rack as well, so you see my dilema. The lift I'm looking at is the Rubicon Express. I read on some website of a guy who installed the 4" and got 5.5" of lift out of it!
image-missing.png

That's great for him, but add 1.5" from the shackles and I've got 7". And I only have a 4 cylinder, so the weight isn't as much as a 6. I only want to fit 32"s, but don't want to do a body lift. I hate looking at the underside of a jeep due to a big body lift, 1", ok, 3"=ugly.

Anywho, long story longer, I've decided to go with the 2.5, cause with the 4, they suggest a slip yoke eliminator, and longer drive shaft. I don't want to do all that, just a lift that will get me thru some ditches, small rocks, and tree stumps. you know what I mean? Nice chatting with ya, Craig.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back