3" body, 2.5" shackle lift vs. 4" suspension

noskils32

Hello all, hows it goin?

I have a 91 YJ and wanted to put 33" tires on it and was comteplating on what type of lift I should put on.

I could either get a 3" body lift and 2.5" shackle lift which would cost $500 including installation or a 4" suspension lift for $1450. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or what would be even better, if they had pictures of the two installs so I could see the difference. That would be awesome.

Thanks
Eric

there is no question that the suspension would be much much much much better

a 3" body lift is too much body lift... a 2.5" shackle lift is too much shackle lift.. no question to it

Welcome to JEEPZ!
If you put 2.5" of shackle lift on your Jeep, you will not be able to drive in a straight line. Trust me, been there (and that was only a 2")!

The 3 inch body lift has it's own issues - i.e: radiator, shifter.

If you want to lift on a budget, try add-a-leaf's, but I would keep the body lift to a 1 inch and same for the shackles.

By the time you put the time and $$$ into these, you could buy an inexpensive suspension like Rough Country or try BDS for a little more. There are guys on this site who sell them and will give you a great deal.

And, you shouldn't have to pay 1450 for the lift plus installation. Join a local 4x4 club and after getting to know everyone, ask them to help you install it. You will save a ton, learn more about your jeep, and have the satisfaction of saying that you installed it (with help, but better than some shop doing it).

It's quite easy to do with 2 friends and a haynes manual.... the lift kit will probably come with all the instructions anyway. DO NOT DO THE BODY LIFT/SHACKLE LIFT. You will kick yourself in the butt 1 month after riding in it.

C

Back