YJ - Reasonable Price?

XJNick

Hi,

So there was an ad for a 1991 YJ in the paper this week. It is a "project" as it has no engine,transmission,or T-case. However upon my looking at it, I noticed it has almost a Perfect body and frame. The guy who's selling it says it originally had a 4 cylinder and standard transmission in it.

So my question... He listed it for $2000 obo in the ad, but seems willing to bargain. I thought this Jeep might make a fun project, and I have a working 4.0L 6-cyl. engine sitting in my garage. What do you all think about the practicallity or price of aquiring this YJ wrangler?

As I said, the body and frame are in excellent condition with NO rust or dents. However the Jeep is missing other things such as it has no rear seat, no wiper arms, no turn signal lever or switch, no driveshafts.

My thought would be that I wouldn't pursue this unless I could get it for closer to $1000. Or am I being unreasonable?

-Nick :!:

hey xjnick....id say if you can get it closer to $1000 you would be in good shape...because you could find some driveshafts tcase and transmission for cheap in a junkyard...or just buy used ones....as for the seat you dont need one lol and no one uses turn signals anyway... does it ahve axles?

Automatic 2 wheel drive Wrangler?!?!?!?!

Yes, it does have both axles which look in good condition. The tires aren't bad and all the rims look good. I agree about not needing the rear seat, and I could also wire a DPST toggle switch for the turn signals if I had to...
But those are both things I could use to try to get the price lower. :mrgreen:

Most '91 4bangers don't go for much more than $2000 COMPLETE, so I think it's a bit high. I'd say $1000 or less is reasonable.

Check out midwestjeepthing.com There is a complete yj for $1500 8) 8)

Well, like other said, try to get it down to $1000 and you will get a good deal out of it. Offer him $1000, and if he refuses it, tell him to give you a call if he changes his mind. If he really wants to sell it or needs the money he'll give you a call. If he does not, I'm sure you can find a better deal elsewhere.

Thanks, I was planning on doing exactly what K_K_PSI_GUY said. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that $2000 is way overpriced. If he'll let it go for $1000 I may get myself another project (as if I don't have enough already! :mrgreen:)

Back