4WD keeps falling out

noskils32

Whenever I put it into 4wd and I drive around for a bit, the 4wd falls out when I put the clutch in. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I guess I might not be putting it in as far as possible or maybe I should try to stay off the clutch as much as possible.

for the jeepin golfaholic...er is that the jeepaholic golfer

Do you have a body lift on there? tug

re:

K, I'll take a quick peek under there and see what I can do. I'll tell you what I can do.

it always seems that bounty always comes around and says exactly what i would say... or vice versa

short vs. long arm

ok, try this, in my auto TJ, ill put in in 4 wheel, drive around for a bit, and when i try top put it back in two the linkage has popped out of the lil hole thingy. how can i fix this cause its pissin me off

Hey Mxpx182lit to fix it just get a manual :lol: Just kiding. Sorry don't have an answer to help u out.

I have a 1988 wrangler and it does the exact same thing. I do, however, have a 3" body lift-not sure if that's why or not. I don't have any idea why it does it either, but would really like to figure it out too.

Here is the Deal with that

Mine did it for a while in 4lo until I figured out this. Make sure you are rolling forward around 2-5 mph put your shifter in Neutral, shift to 4-hi or 4-lo then put the main shifter in gear. This stopped mine from popping out of 4-Wheel.

Oh yeah, you don't have to use the Clutch to change to 4-hi just put it there while going under 50. At least that is it in a TJ.

What about in a YJ? I never engage 4hi or 4lo while moving just to be safe.

in a yj... it is completely safe to shift to and from 4hi and 2wd all day, as many times as you'd like, under 50 mph.. that is as long as the front wheels and the rear wheels are moving at the same speed... if your rear wheels are spinning, and the front are not moving... that shift collar will slam in quite hard

L33TJ33P said:
Here is the Deal with that

Mine did it for a while in 4lo until I figured out this. Make sure you are rolling forward around 2-5 mph put your shifter in Neutral, shift to 4-hi or 4-lo then put the main shifter in gear. This stopped mine from popping out of 4-Wheel.

Oh yeah, you don't have to use the Clutch to change to 4-hi just put it there while going under 50. At least that is it in a TJ.

AWESOME! Tried that out tonight and it worked! Didn't fall out! Thanks!

Back