exahust smell while driving

tomcat

I just bought a new 2003 Jeep Wrangler X with the 4.0L and 4 speed auto. My wife and I took about a 200 mile trip over the weekend when I noticed we were smelling exhaust fumes going down the highway. Is this normal when the top is down? Also the gas milage really sucked. We only got around 14-15mpg on the highway. Is this just because of the break in period?[addsig]

hi man!

if you where driving without a top in a high wind area you will smell

where you hauling stuff? overall weighter will affect you ride

hope this helps!

sincerely,

Mr. Pistol[addsig]

Thanks for the exhaust confirmation. Regarding the bad gas milage, no we wern't hauling anything besides me, my wife and our dog. Does mileage matter if the top is up or down?[addsig]

Check the air in your tires. Low or high air pressure will affect your gas milage. But it seem to me you should be getting better gas milage than that. We have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a 5.2L with all time 4 wheel drive, and we are getting 17.8 miles on the highway.[addsig]

Wish my 97 TJ got 14-15 mpg.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Im not sure about the gas smell but I have noticed that I get worse gas milage with the top down than I get with the top up.[addsig]

I don't know about the newer Jeeps, but the two older (82 and 83) Jeeps that I owned (still own the 82) always smelled of exhaust gas when the top was down. I chalked it up to the aerodynamics of the Jeep. Which way does your hair blow when you are riding sans top? Forward I'll bet. Wait till you get caught in a rain storm without the top! You can scrunch up against the windshield all that you want to and you are still going to get soaked from behind. I would love to see a wind tunnel / smoke test of the Jeep. I'll bet that there is a cylinder of air in the horizontal plane rolling out of the back.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I dont know with the 4.0 but with the 2.5 my throttle positon swith shit the can overnight for some reason, which cut my gas down from about 13 hwy to 11hwy and it stunk real bad, mostly at idle though, also pull your intake tube off and look down in your throttle boddy with plate open if it real gunked up clean with some good carb choke cleaner, I recomend taking it off for that, real simple four screws also when you have it off look at you sensors take them off you Idle air control might be real cruddy clean it also but be sure not to push in the nipple end of it they are pre-set i think 1/8 out but not sure, while doing that check air cleaner, and pvc valve i know if your air cleaner is dirty it will act as a choke, as for the affecting your gas with the top on or off I am not sure it shouldnt be much if any at all because you figure the top is nothing but a box, most of your resistance will be from your grill and your windsheild. hope this helps

Marc[addsig]

Tomcat,

I have a 2001 Sahara with a soft top. I get about 16 MPG highway driving with the top up and the AC on. The milage goes down to 15 when I have the top down. The station wagon effect is very common when the top is down. Suggestion, roll down the front windows to get more air flow when riding with top down. I can also feel more resistance on the movement of the vehicle wihen the top is down. But, Jeeps were made to go topless.

Ed

image-missing.png
[addsig]

This is our first jeep....won't be the last. When we took it on her first road trip, Illinois to Tennessee, and got the 17.8 miles a gallon with a/c, I thought that was good. But now by reading the post here, I'd say we are getting great gas milage? Are can we do better than that?[addsig]

Back