Bad gas milage

jeepdude832

Anyone know of any trails near the Blue Ridge Parkway? (VA)

I am getting 13 miles to the gallon I use to get 17 18. I am runnin the same tires 31s. I changed the rotor and distr. cap. The plugs look fine. It doesnt seem to be running as best as it could no problems though.

My next Ideas are fuel filter? bad catalitic converter maybe ? no bad smells or anything. Any body have any other Ideas or know anything else 111,000 miles 99 4.0 Thanks

if you havent done it yet, try a new air filter.. if its dirty you'll suck more gas. also you might want to try injector cleaner....

Maybe there's a fish in your snorkel! Seriously, is that thing limiting your air intake? Maybe if you know anybody with the computer you could look for trouble codes to see if something not so obvious is wrong.

If it's the cat that's giving you problems cut the sucker off. Just find a good ol by to inspect the thing and throw in a 6 pack and he'll pass it. haha

You have an obdII? I need to reset my O2 reminder light!

there are no fuel filters on the wranglers, theres only the filter in the tank on the sending unit and filters in the injectors, i had the same problem and lookede around till someone told me that they didnt have filters, check the o2 sensors and make sure there reading properly if there not reading properly they can cause the PCM to dump more fuel than u need

I run a full tank of injector cleaner every month, I would suggest you try that. you never know what sort of junk is in the gas. Most states allow up to 1% impurities.

A quick check also would lifting the front end and the rear checking bearings, brake system for problems. A malfunction brake caliper or a bearinf going can be seen as a drop in the gas milage at first.

FYI I have a 2001 4.0L with 35's and only get 14.6 MPG but I am geared low for my type of off roading.

wranglers DO have a fuel filter, and i change mine every year... it is behind the framerail by the driver side rear tire.. takes about 5 minutes to change

Replace the o2 sensor if it's still the original one. Have your driving habits changed? Accelerating slower and cutting your top speed down by 5 or 10 mph will make a huge difference, you'll be surprised.

gotta check up on that fuel filter thing. i know my TJ dont have one and no one makes a replacement fuel filter for it, and was told that it dont have one, and couldnt fine one on my jeep. so i dont know, im all confussed hehehe

Dodge/mopar made the stupid mistake of not putting fuel filters in some of their newer vehicles. Gotta trust them Mopar guys, Yeah right!

yea i know hehehe i was thinkin about putting on in-line with my fuel line

If you have a TJ, then the fuel filter is inside the gas tank. YJ's have it on the drivers part of the frame. Easy replacement. Don't forget to check that elbow hose that goes into the fuel filter. They are known to go bad.-al

thanks guys I have a bad bearing that I knew about I alreadied scheduled it to be fixed on wed along with gettin an alignement. I dont go above 65mph and I try to accelerate with the normal rate of traffic while staying under 2000rpm. I think i am going to replace the o2 sensor anyway

Back