Extremely hard to steer in 4wd

noskils32

I guess this just might be true on all 4wd systems but I just want to ask. When I put the Jeep (91 YJ) in 4hi and try to turn sharply and very slow speeds the steering wheel is REAL hard to turn. It jumps a lot and is very resistant to being turned sharply. Anyone else have this problem or know why I would have it?

Running 4wd on a hard dry surface you will always have this problem.

Comanche Lift?

Actually I was using it because it was real rainy the last couple days. I think the couple times I tried it, it was on a wet surface. Maybe not wet enough? I won't do it anymore none-the-less.

well its bad on dry pavement, but the jerking and tension comes from the front axle U-joints binding up expecially when u turn really sharp you put them on a bind and they tend to push back.

Part time 4wd locks the front and rear driveshafts to turn at the same speed. When you turn, the natural motion is for one to turn slower than the other, causing the jumping. You reply on lack of traction to prevent this by allowing the wheels to slip. Usually you have good enough traction on wet pavement at slow speeds, like sharp parking lot turns, that you shouldn't have it in pt 4wd. When I drive around in 4wd in the rain, I always turn it off once I enter a parking lot or somewhere I will be going slow and turning sharp. That's the difference between full and part time. Full time allows the driveshafts to turn at different speeds.

rain is no reason to put the vehicle in 4wd

I think they consider rain a dry surface as far as 4wd is concerned. you should only engage 4wd where the tires can freely slip.. ie sand, gravel, mud, snow.. if you have the selec-trac t-case you can put it in full time 4wd anytime, but if not, dont do it, you could grenade the t-case or break something else....even driving straight down the road.

Back