89 yj to cj front conversion

J:UN

So pretty much all done besides some minor issues with aligning the hood to the fenders. I have learned some things and still have some questions to those who have done this conversion.

What I've learned....
Never buy parts from "Certifit"...well for a jeep at least.
CJ's were SO much simpler in there design and I kinda already knew this
Round lights frikin rock
the cj raidiator is MUCH bigger and holds a lot more coolant then the yj.

Questions..
the front seems to slope up more then the yj front. I thought about taking the front body bushing off the front grill to adjust for it but not to sure if that is such a great idea.
Hood to fender alingment is a good 1/2 inch apart....The Only thing I can think of for this is the Certifit hood so I'll probably go pull an origanal cj hood.
I'm noticing more power? The only thing I can think of is that the fan shroud isn't used anymore....I know this is far off but I wonder if the fan felt resistance by the air compression in the shroud? hmm
This morning she acted like she wasn't getting warm and sputtered all the way to work. The computer was taken off the left fender and not put back on correctly (friends doing) as I noticed checking it at work. Grounding problem?
Also should I relocate that computer to higher ground in case of water crossing?

The NEWEST instalment of my story and the beginning one, too

so I guess I'm the only one here that has tried this?

Appears so. I won't bother to replace mine unless I need too! The head lights shine, blinkers blink, everything checks out ok!

Test

Most of the swaps I've read about indicate the issue with the taller CJ radiator and grille. Most suggest a 1" body lift and using a stock body bushing under the grille, but some have just shaved the stock bushing. I'd go the 1" BL route, more tire clearance and still leaves plenty of rubber bushing under the grille. This also helps clear the steering box, but I've read of cutting the grille to clear also.

Will lowering the grille fix the hood/fender alignment issue?

I don't know much about electrical or 'puters, but a water crossing shouldn't affect the ground. Do make sure the 'puter is well sealed, though.

I thought there were 1 or 2 others here that had installed a CJ clip on a YJ, but maybe I read it somewhere else.

http://www.geocities.com/lorimaryrose/cjfrontend.html

Thanks Bounty. I think thats just what I need. I'll go get the pucks tonight

lift kit opinion

i was thinking of going with a cj front end... haven't read anything about it... just considered it.. i'm going with a new body some time... it is something to consider

Back