Help me to get this thing apart!

jay79cj7

I picked up a cheap used transfer case to scavenge a part of the casing to replace my cracked one... (Quadratrac, the part that bolts to the skid plate is cracked off, so it rocks around a bit.) The problem is that I can't get this thing apart! Somebody has been in here before and closed it back up with a red silicone material. I have the bolts out, but the case won't come apart. There isn't really a gap to get a screwdriver or other device in to pry it. Anybody have any tricks to make this stuff let loose? Thanks

You will notice that there will be small slotts in the side where a flat head screwdriver can slide in. I think there are three, One on each side and one some where on the bottom. GENTLY try to slide a non abrasive flat head screw driver in there, slowly and slightly prying side to side. Once you break the seal in one small spot, the thing will open up like nothing. as for someone being "in there" I don't know. I know no one has ever taken apart my T-case, and when I did my SYE, it had black RTV silicon holding it together.

When you reassemble, make sure you use a hi temp RTV silicone to seal it!

Fragged clutch disc

Done! I knew I could do it without posting, but I got frustrated... I didn't find a place for a screwdriver to fit, but I was able to get a putty knife in one spot and work it around carefully. From there it wasn't too tough. Thanks for the advice. Now on to the more difficult part of seeing what I have inside of this case and trying to figure out if its any good. Thanks again.

re

I had a similar problem trying to get the differential covers off to change the fluid on my TJ. Anyone got any tips for this situation? It's a Dana 35 rear end.

Back