Fan belt installation HELP !!!

Ben_Jeepin\'

It is a little jeeper!!!!!!!!!!

:shock:
I am in need of a little help.
Does anyone have a diragram or picture for the correct way a fan belt
is routed on a 1997 Wrangler w/o AC 2.5 4cy.

Just look on the bottom of your hood or directly in front of the radiator. There's usually a sticker there with a diagram.

I've looked....not on this one there's not.
I put on a new water pump, and now it's not heating like before
and it overheated once...not sure if it's the thermostat or if I maybe put the belt on the wrong way and it's running backwards (if possible) Or maybe the heater core got plugged up with stuff and that needs help.

I dont know if your 97 is set up like my 95... but here goes.....

as you look at the motor from in front of the Jeep..... the crank is on the very bottom center..... then on top of that should be the fan.... then on top of that to the right you should have something else.... (power steering pump I would assume)...... then to the left of the power steering pump and up a little.... there is an idler pulley.... then to the far left (and down a little) is the alternator........

Belt goes under the crank..... to the left side of the fan.... around to the right of the unidentified thing on the right... (maybe power steering pump) under the idler pulley and then to the left atound the alternator.......

Hope it helps.... if not.. sorry.. I tried..... CH

finally back

I don't think it's possible to put it on backwards.... or for the belt to spin backwards. Is this a serpentine or V-belt setup? Help us help you.

C

It's serpentine, not v-belt.

The '95 may or may not be like your '97. Early '95 YJ belt routing is the same as the '94. Late model '95 belt routing is more similar to the TJ's and the water pump spins the opposite direction that the early '95.

If your belt fit and the tensioner works properly, chances are it's routed correctly. I think I've got the late '95 so I'll check it's routing and get back to you.

Yah it's serpentine. The guys at Park Jeep in Burnsville didn't think it was possible to put it on the wrong way either...but I just wanted to be sure. They said that air pockets can get in there when the water pump is changed and that it needs to 'burp', so I'll keep messin' with it and check out the thermostat as well.

Back