nutter bypass

jeep90

i just looked on 4x4 wire and john nutter removed the instructions for the nutter bypass. he said that people were doing the bypass on their daily drivers thats why it was taken off. has anyone here had any adverse effects with the bypass? did it give you a gain in preformance? and does anyone have the schematics for this bypass. i am going to keep trying to find the diagram.

thanks in advance

It is easy, I do not have the diagram, however if you are near lincoln, NE I would be more than happy to help you do it. I have had no adverse affects and is much better now.

i wish i lived in nebraska. im from pa, but i did eventually find a diagram. i hope that this helps because i have almost as much power as a moped!! :shock: my jeep idles fine just dont have any power....we'll see what happens.

Hello Jeep90,

You will find wiring diagrams and schematics related to the "Nutter Bypass" at the following web page:

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/ignmods.htm

Be sure to click on the diagram "hot spots" to see additional information, diagrams and schematics.

This mod, for those unfamiliar with the Nutter Bypass, is applicable only to 1982 or 83 through 1990 4.2 liter, I-6 engined Jeeps.

Gadget

PS: The above referenced web page includes the obligatory and prominent advisory that the Nutter Bypass is illegal for on-road Jeeps.

Inspector-Gadget said:
This mod, for those unfamiliar with the Nutter Bypass, is applicable only to 1982 or 83 through 1990 4.2 liter, I-6 engined Jeeps.

I have an '82 with the 4.2l and i can confirm that it is NOT equipped with a ECM, so there isn't really anything to bypass on it. I think '83 is the earliest model that a nutter bypass can be performed on.

good question...considering that i chucked the carter and went with a weber, the computer is not controlling this anyway right? no stepper motor, or other emissions stuff hooked up.

MAN Just finished the bypass today and wholy cow!! TROGDOR IDLES!!!! I got a little more power but I'm wandering if my gas milage will suffer....

yeah same here, but the signal still goes thru the mcu before it goes to the distributer. so does all that work anyway with the carb disconected?
i'm going to be redoing everything in the engine compartment (removing all the now useless wiring included) so i'll do it anyway. if i remember when ever i get to that i'll let you know. unless you want to do it now :)

I have a Webber, so would this Nutter Bypass even make a difference?
I thought that with the Webber, the Stepper Motor Plug is already disconnected, so the computer is not controlling the carb anyways.

Anyone out there with the same question?

Yes the nutter will make a difference with a Weber Too. It bypasses the ecm not just the carb. Which is why it will idle better with a little more power. You can actually get over 3,500 rpms without sputtering. I would also recomend a juice box. It upgrades your ignition and coil. It is about 100 bucks. Nutter took it off the web because people were using it as there daily drivers. Not because it did damage but because of emmisions. It won't pass a state inspection in most states. But then again if you have a weber it is unlikely that you would pass anyway. Depends on how strict your state is.

thanks for answering my question. and the completly diffrent question of richsia. because that question hadn't been asked or those points brought up in three or the four previous posts.

starting problems, help!

Jay89
Thanks for the reply.
My Ignition was horrible, so I installed the Juicebox a year ago, and what an upgrade. Best 100 bucks I ever spent. Only problem that I noticed with the juicebox is that the new rotor has too much travel room in the Distributor.
Jeep90, are you planning on doing the nutter bypass? If you are, let me know how it goes.

richsia@yahoo.com
90 YJ 4.2, WEBER, Juice Box, No Heat but my all my guages work
Jersey City NJ

right after this tank of gas. im seeing how many miles i get out of the last two tanks, taking the average and comparing that to the mileage after the bypass. i am going to do the bypass in such a way that i can switch back if i want to. if it consumes more fuel than its worth i will switch back. my jeep idles perfect cold or hot, the only issue i have is i have about half as much power as other 258's. my cj that i just gave to my dad to get my yj back had a four cylinder and twice the power. i will keep you all posted on the results.

rewiring for fuse panel

Jeep90 -- Did you finish this Project yet?
Let me know if you really RPM to 4000?

Back