Leaky Front Axle Seal

MrChubbyHubby

Hey...
I noticed over the past week that my front right axle seal is leaking a bit. I simply dont have a free time any time soon to put a in new seal. I am going to put new bearings in there too as long as I am in there. I would rather do it once and do it right. Anyways, I am sure I have lost a bit of fliud as there is a spot that is about a 2 inch diameter over night. I think its 90 weigh gear oil, but would like someone to confirm this for me. How do I check the level of fluid to see how much I lost? How full do I need to fill it? How do I add the oil to it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

to check the level of the fluid, on level ground, look at the front of the pumpkin, you'll see either a rubber plug or a bolt with a square recess in the head (your ratchet will fit the square plug nicely). remove this plug in the diff, the fluid level should be up to the bottom of the hole.. if its not, fill it to that level - the bottle comes with a tapered cap.. i recommend spending the $5 and getting a pump to fit the bottle (they will have them at the parts place, wort of like the pump on a soap dispenser with a hose attached) the pump makes it easier to fill without spillage. i believe it takes a 85W90 gear oil (you will find it in any auto parts place with the motor oil). there are only a couple of grades of gear oil used in differentials... thats all there is to it.

Thanks. I put fluid (80W90) in it last night. I was about 1/2 quart low. I guess I will have to keep an eye on it. Thanks again. Getting this "figured out allows me to worry about other stuff (Like the post I will post in a few minutes regarding oil pressure).

lamp replacement

its casy to change i would change it cuz after going thru 3 bottles of gear oil, you could have had the new seal in and not have to spend nemore$$$ on oil hehe that comes down as having more money to upgrade hehehe

Well.... If I get in there... I want to do bearings and everything on both sides... and I just dont have the time right now to spend on that.

if its the hub bearings you are talkin about..yeah they arnt cheap. up here in the north they are 250 CAN dollars apeice. its ridiculous.

What kind of jeep is this with the leaky axle seal?

If it's '87 or newer it's likely got the sealed bearing assemblies (hubs) that are $125 each, and you need two. I wouldn't replace them unless you have some play in them.

Lemme know what year and model jeep.

Back