starting problems, help!

1981CJ5

Went to start up my '81 CJ5 this morning, and as normal, she started on the first turn of the key, then died. This is normal though.

Went to start her up again, and just got a "whirring" sound. I am thinking it is a bad starter, am I right? Or could it be the ignition module?

What are the symptoms of a bad ignition module, for future referance?

Will probably replace the starter and solenoid at the same time, just to be safe.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Joel

Did you try pecking on the starter to se if that helps. Could be sticking and not let the starter ingauge. I would replace both as well while you are in there. Silenoid cost is so low and is an ez instal why not. tug

That can be caused by 3 things. Low battery, stuck or faulty solinoid, or bad teath on flywheel or starter. I would probably think it is the solinoid but it if is cold there it could be a battery.

OK, I installed a new starter and solenoid, no change. Still getting the "whirring" sound.

Checked the battery, much corrosion, on the terminals and on side of battery itself. We just had our first cold snap last night, so I am thinking that the battery was in bad shape to begin with and the cold did her in.

Just hoping that it was not the flywheel. Do not feel like doing that job anytime soon.

Anyone know the symptoms of a bad ignition module?

Thanks.

Use Coca-Cola to clean those terminals first off. Just pour coke on it and let it fizzle, then pour more if needed. You are gunna have to trust me on that if you have never heard of it but it works GREAT. It will also clean your Windshield better than anyother Window cleaner. :-D

If you want proof: Pour a glass of coke, then put a #8 nail in it. The nail will be gone in a few days :-D WOOHOO the stuff we drink.

yea coca cola works wonders gettin corrosion off battery terminals, but after you do that i would disconnect the terminals and clean in the inside, scrub them till they are clean and look silverish and then clamp them back on, that will take cars of what ever corrosion you have on your terminals, do that to the battery post also. that should solve ur problem, if you allready changed the solenoid and starter. if that dont werk then you have to check the flywheel.....

Since you asked... Trying to remember exactly, but I think it just turned and turned and no fire. It was definitely not what you described.

You could pull the starter out and hook up power to it. See it the teeth are moving out to engage properly. If they are moving out and it is spinning then mabye it is your flywheel.

If it does end up being the flywheel, would I need to replace the ring gear, flywheel or both?

Also, how big of a job is this?

Thanks

PS.. I am taking the battery to Auto Zone tomorrow for test, hopefully this is all I need.

The starter I removed was the original American Motors starter. It had the same number as the block. Thought it was interesting.

Take your starter to Autozone with the battery. They can test it for you for free. It's easy to take off and will give you a small hole to look at the flywheel teeth.

Mongo

EZ test for fly wheel. If your flywheel "Ringgear" has missing teeth they are only going to be missing in a spot ot two. Roll your jeep out of gear and after you get up some speed stick it in second gear and pop the clutch with the key on this will start the jeep. Take the jeep back to it's parking space kill the engin and see if it will start then with the key. Another way is to turn over the engin with the fan if you are lucky enough to have a staright mechinal fan and not a clutch type fan. Any way you find to roll over the engin to a new spot on the ring gear so the starter has a new area to hit.

As for wgat it involves to cgange out the ring gear. Drop the transmission transfer case and remove the flywheel. Heat the ring gear with a torch causeing it to expand. With a Hammer and a good strong Punch after supporting the flywheel and not the ring gear hit it and peel it off till is is off. Put the new one on the same way lay it close to in place and heat it up. Wear some heavy welder type gloves by the way. Now as it expands from the heat beat the sucker back on when it cools it fits like it grew there.

Other option is to go ahead and buy flywheel with Ring gear already on it. I think they run something like 70 bucks but it has been a while. This vs. 20 bucks for a ring gear. It is not that hard of a fix after you get the transmission and trannsfer case down.

While yo are inthere replace the throw out berring inspect the clutch and replace if it is even close to needing one. Pressure plate, slave and just do a good cleaning off everything you see down there. Remember it is a real pain in the butt to drop the running gears so do all you can while you are in there so you do not have to again any time soon.

Think small first. Pull the starter and take it to have it tested. This is the fix we are looking for. Two bolts one wire and you are done. not all of the above. Luck to you sir. tug

Back