Early YJ Air Box - help

hi_c

There's a 2" diameter tube coming from the bottom of my Air Box (2.5L, TBI fuel injection). There is also a hole coming from the exhaust manifold which is about the same diameter. But there is no tube connecting these two. Should they have a tube running between them? Does anybody know what this tube is for? Can you look at your early YJ and see if you have the same thing? Pics would be awesome if possible. My email is cjfink@comcast.net

Thanks.

C

heat exchange?... if so, you don't need it

Is that a guess, or are you questioning if I need it?

I forgot to mention that a while back, I connected it and the motor sputtered at operating temp (~190). So removed it. But since I removed the tube, it takes a while to warm up and hold the idle. Once warm, it idles fine, but it makes for tough driving early cold mornings.

C

IF YOU HAVE A 2.5L yj, PLEASE LOOK AT YOUR AIRBOX AND TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE CONNECTED TO THE BOTTOM AND WHERE IT GOES. THANKS.

Do not have any more but as I remember there is a heat riser tube going from the breather box to the manifold heat shield. It was a fiber like tube that crumbles after time and all it does is heat up the top end a little quicker for them cold mornings. tug

yea i lost the same tube, all it does it put hot air into the carb faster i guess....i ordered a new one from jeep for like $10, didnt need it, but might as well have it

it is basically for the winter... and is good for carbureted motors, but is not crutial in any way.. it just heats the incoming air

Snitty said:
plugger up

Yup I like the way Snitty thinks.

Or find an elbow to fit the tube and turn it back to the rear of the jeep so the water in not going stright in and the air still can. tug

Back