99 Wrangler Possibly Stuck in 4WD ???

dbarwi1

Hello -

I just purchased a 99 Jeep Wrangler and noticed a few annoying traits which seem to have gotten worse. Last night driving the jeep home I felt that I had very little control over the car. It kept swaying all over the place and when making a turn in has skidding and not grabbing well. When I shift from 2H to 4H, it makes absolutely no difference in the way the car drives.

In addition, when I make a hard right or a hard left, the tires make some horrible clunking grinding noise. Could this be related or completely different?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Put the 4wd shifter in 2hi and back up about 100 feet while holding the shifter in the 2hi position. If it comes out of 4hi you will feel it. if not you may have issues with your Transfer case.

::Edit:: Next thing I would try it to see if you can shift it into 4lo. drop your speed to 2-5mph and take your main shifter outta gear. Pull up and into 4 lo drive about 50 feet then drop the 4wd shifter into neutral. Hit the gas (not much) and make sure your Transfercase is in neutral. Then proceed to go through 4hi and back to 2wheel. Again, back up about 100 feet and see if you feel it pop out of 4 wheel.

Webber or MotorCraft

If you follow L33's tips, please do this in a dirt or gravel lot. If you drive on pavement in 4wd, and make turns, you could break stuff.

Isn't a 99 still under warranty? I've never owned a new vehicle... so I don't know.

C

Yes, it's under warranty. I was going to take it to the mechanic this weekend. Not too many gravel roads where I live. How much damage could it cause to try in on the street. I obviously don't want to make matters worse, so if all fails, I will drive it in 4WD to the dealership.

Well, as long as you aren't turning and forcing it to bind you should be fine. Just keep it in straight lines and try it out.

Ok, so now I am a bit concerned about possible damage caused over the past week driving it in 4WD all over the place. Even if I get it out of 4WD, I will probably take it to the dealership. What worries me is that it was not so bad at first, but last night was frightning driving home. It was really loose and shaky. I am not sure how it should normally react when in 4WD and I hope that this has not made matters worse.

I'd give it back to the dealer if it's as loose, shaky, and unstable as you describe.

If the 4wd won't disengage, it's possible the transfer case linkage has come loose or out of adjustment.

Yes, under warranty always = dealer.

On a dirt or gravel road while in 4wd, you would be able to turn the wheels and see the wheel grabbing the earth. Then when you put it into 2wd and do the same thing, you should notice that the front tires don't grab.

I have a 99 TJ as well, this clunky noise you recall is very familiar. If i turn my tires SUPER all the way styles, then the tire will grind with the front, but my tires are 31" x uh i forgot, but they are 1" wider than stock as well. I figure that it is there because of them...it does not bother me that much as it RARELY happens, good luck with whatever else it is doing.

Back