4cylinder third memebers?

laneiac

Wanting to upgrade the gears in my 95 yj, but I dont want to pay out the rear end for a gear install. So I was thinking about swapping in some third members from a 4 cylinder yj. Is that a good idea, or will I run into problems. I also have a friend who will install lockers for next to nothing if I just bring him the third members, so that is another plus to doing it that way. Let me know what you all think. Thanks, Lane

You can use the carriers and gears from a four cylinder. Used gears amost always make some noise because you can't perfectly duplicate their original wear pattern. I used junkyard gears in an axle that I had planned to swap out, I never swapped it and the current owner is still riding on those gears three years later.

Swap in both axles from a 4banger, it's a great upgrade if you have the 6cyl. Cheaper and easier than installing new gears.

if your going to do gears it might be cheaper to just swap in a complete rear, the 4cyls normally have a lower gear ratio than the 6cyl...

this swap worked for me. the 4.10's are ideal for up to 33's. i ran 36's with mine...there was a major power loss tho...

Back