stalling yj

crzyalchemist

I have a 1990 4.2 L, stock carb. stalls when stopping and will not idle. runs great at speed just not at low speeds? any suggestions?

Re: Bent pressure plate finger & vibrating

try turning up your idle. the idle screw is the one connected to the throtle linkage. also look into adjusting your low speed fuel mixture. i beleive this mixture srew is the one closest to the driver side. ( there are two screws side by side..one is low speed mixture and one is high speed mixture.)

i am sure other here @ Jeepz.com will also be able to help you solve this carb prob. also try spraying a can of carb cleaner into her. the ventreral (sp?)tube can sometimes get clogged up.

ok i will try this tomorrow, one stupid question first. what is the venturi cluster? i am new at this first jeep and i love it just need to fix a few probs

crzyalchemist said:
ok i will try this tomorrow, one stupid question first. what is the venturi cluster? i am new at this first jeep and i love it just need to fix a few probs

I can't help you with the carb question, but welcome to Jeepz!

Welcome to jeepz. To answer your question in a round about way just open the top of the carb by removeing the breather. make a good map of where all the vacuume lines go to put them all back. Take the can of carb cleaner and spry into the top of the carb all of the little nooks and crannies and into all the ports holes and ect........ You are bound to get lucky that way.

In the end go ahead and get ready to spend the big bucks for a real carb. tug

ya im havin the same prob. The POS has been like that for a year now just get used to turning your foot sideways so you can hit the brake and the gas at the same time like me. My dad wants to see what rebuilding mine will do before we buy a new one so wish me luck t his weekend.

soft doors

hell i got gramps today in traffic doing that. i am witing to put an injection kit on after the first of the year

injection kit are REALLY expensive. there is nothing wrong with a carborated engine just that POS carter careb. it would be much cheaper to get a weber, holloy or demon or even a moto carb.

I'm not sticking up for the carter carb, but after I followed the instructions in the link I gave you above, my problem has been solved for about the past 5 or 6k miles. It was one of the first things I had to do on my CJ and I didn't know what the heck I was doing either. It wasn't too hard to figure out and it was alot easier and cheaper than any other replacement. Don't give up on the old carter and spend the big bucks yet. You own a Jeep, you will need the $ somewhere else tomorrow. Good luck.

The Venturi Cluster is the cluster of jets in the top of the barrel in the carb. Follow the instructions and remove the choke plate. After that at the front side of the barrel there are two screws. Take them out and you can pull out the entire cluster careful there a two long brass rods connecter to the cluster. they are what you really need to clean out. They Carry the fuel to the jets and they are very small in diameter. After you do that fix if it doesn't work you probably have a leak somewhere. Mine leaked around where the trottle plate rod went into the carb. Mine would idle great until you tried to move the jeep.

I have exactely the same jeep with 160k on her and had the same problems. I took the carb to bits, cleaned it and she runs pretty good now. But after reading all these suggestions theres a few extra things i want to try. Let me know how you get on..

Oh and i got my 1st jeep last Febuary and have allready spent more time under it than driving it, so be prepared but these guys on this borad are more or less lifesavers.. :shock:

The first week that I got my '89 YJ I was also having a problem with it stalling when I slow down, making a turn in a low speed and when I am fully stopped on a traffic light. I followed the instruction of some fellow members here and yes, yes yes,,,, now my YJ is running like a newborn Jeep :D .

Try that carb job thing and your problem will be gone. I did mine in under an hour and probably you'll do that too.

Goodluck.

black smoke........

well i did the venturi clean out yesterday with no luck still have the same problem, got ahold of a guy in fort worth( not alot of people want to work on these carbs) and hes going to do a rebuild job. any suggestions on a good carb that will not empty my back account?

95 YJ for sale

If you don't mind some mild fab work I would suggest getting a motorcraft 2150. Look a month or so back on this discussion and you should find everything you need to know. If not start another thread and me will help you.

we recently had the same problem with my friends yj, after doing everything that you're going through (sure that is was the carb) we threw some heavy duty fuel system cleaner in and changed the air filter and the other little filter under the breather cap. Problem fixed (weird but true)

we threw some heavy duty fuel system cleaner in and changed the air filter and the other little filter under the breather cap.

flyboy: what other filter are you refering to? the PCV valve?

Thanks

Back