Oil pressure running high?

JeredYJ

Recently in the last week or so I have noticed that my oil pressure is running quite higher than normal. I checked my oil level and it was fine. Any clues where to start? Might the pressure guage be going bad? Thanks for the input.
jered

Similar issue happened to me and it was the pressure sender. never showed low, always bobbed around the 2/3's mark (cant remember the value) & got worse when it warmed up. another thing, check the pcv like breather at the top/rear of the engine, last winter mine clogged with frozen condensation and caused my pressure to skyrocket and oil to shoot out of my dipstick filler tube.

and lastly... a clogged oil filter???

Thanks JP,
Will check out the pressure sender and pcv breather at the end of the valve cover, but don't think it's the oil filter (just replaced a few weeks ago). With the pressure sender: where is it? does it DO anything or just take pressure readings? meaning- if it goes bad can I get away with not replacing it for a while? Also, do you know how much$?
Forgot to mention: I have a '91 with the 4.0 I just checked it driving aound again and when Im cruising it reads about 75 (which is about 90-95% on the guage) then on idle it drops down and bobbs at around 50-60 (60% on the guage).
jered

hinges

The pressure sender just takes readings, if it is bad yes you can drive it problem free, BUT replacing it is the only way of knowing if you really have a problem. Driving your jeep with legitimate high pressure will cause bigtime problems like blown seals, leaks, etc...
I've got a 2.5 and mine was on the block in front of the distributor. its easy to find: its about a 1x1 inch "can" screwed into the block, with a harness with a single wire going coming out of it.

Back