F-ing torx screw!

Beach_Jeep

I'm trying to remove the cover for the windshield wiper motor. I got the top two screws out however, I've stripped the bottom torx screw. :evil: What to do now!!!!
How do I get it out?

Thanks,

Beach

Use a bolt extractor available at Autozone and other places like that.-al

Are YOU insane??????

Take a hacksaw or dremel and cut a slot in the head (not to deep) and use your big flat-head screwdriver.

Craftsman has some cool sockets out now that will bite into rounded bolts and the like. May be a good investment.

i have those sockets....they are bad a@#. when i first got my jeep the lugnuts were rounded off, rusted and tighter than s#$%. i had to get my wheels off, so before i went and cut those lugs off i took a trip to sears to see what they had. i picked those up, gave them a shot and they bit right into them old lug nuts. took them right off. for anyone who dont have those, get em. they are a $20 lifesaver.

wow. that is an awsome idea for getting those torx bolts out mongo. never thought of that. i have heard of people weilding another bolt to the torx bolt in order to get it out. i like the slot idea better thought. either way it wont be long before i encounter such problems as i need to replace my windsheild hinges soon.

Cutting fender flares..whose done it?

Great idea, thanks! I'll stop in Sears on the way home tomorrow.
My tail gate is also stripped....Awesome idea!

thx!

Ring & Pinion change what will LABOR cost me?

Something that works for me . In the machine shop trade when you have a tool bit that has a torx bolt in it and it strips out, it is usually flush and you can't get vise grips on it . I always try to find an allen wrench that will fit in it. It may be a standard or metric allen. Line it up and take a small hammer and tap it into the head of the torx bolt. You might want to make sure you have any rust out. A good practice is to spray it with WD-40 and tap on the head to loosen the rust. Also if the head is a little too loose you can form it with a ball pein hammer and tighten up the grip.

You might hit it now with a ball pein and tighten up the torx star and then force the torx bit into it and it might come out.

hope this helps,
Jackal

Back