YJ Front Differential Angle

BORRONGO

Can some one tell the front differential angle for a 1989 Jeep Wrangler?

When I got my jeep it did not have a front differential...now I want to install one, but I do not know the right angle.

the angle of the differential is deterrimined by the amount of lift your jeep has. best bet is to eye-ball it and line it up so that the pinion is as close to being straight with the driveshaft as possiable. i have heard many people say to also simply point the pinion towards the TC output yoke.( it there is no CV). if there is a CV in the driveshaft point the pion just under the TC output yoke.

hope this helps.

What? Wait a second... what do you mean
When I got my jeep it did not have a front differential
? All wranglers are 4wd, therefore you must have a front axle, therefore you must have a front differential.

Maybe you didn't have a front driveshaft, but even that sounds hokey. Either way, the pinion angle of the front differential housing should be nearly parallel with the ground. Maybe 2 to 5 degrees inclined towards the transfer case.

C

The front pinion should be parallel with the transfer case front output, with a stock driveshaft.

More importantly you want to pay close attention to the amount of caster the front axle has in order to achieve safe handling.
helpPosNegCaster-3.gif

Tell us more as to why your Wrangler came with no front differential. What type of front axle did it have?

I purchased my YJ, Used, from a guy that had in a back yard. It did not have a front differential, but I found one in a Junk Yard. The engine was on the jeep, but it was missing the head. Also, it had a manual transmission. I have installed an automatic one and an NP242 Transfer out a Grand Cherokee.

I have installed a Pro Comp Coil conversion on my Jeep, but I did not get the diff angle (Recommended on the instructions) before installing it.

So the entire front axle was gone? Or just the differential?

Just set the caster back to the stock specs and your pinion angle will be fine. Caster should be around -7* I think.

don't want to take over this post, but Bounty, what angle should I have the front diff at with a 6 inch lift? Or where can I find out?

I wouldn't worry about the angle of the pinion, just the caster setting. You want to keep that jeep going straight with the correct caster. IF, and that's a big if, you get vibes, you'll need to have the knuckles cut from the axle and turned to point the pinion up without losing caster.

in thr front, the pinion should always retain a stock angle no matter what lift you have.. when you lift, the TC stays parallel to the pinion angle, and it should stay that way

Unless.... you have enough lift to necessitate a double-cardan front driveshaft, then the pinion should point at the TC yoke. But there are a lot of 'what if's'.

Anybody ever make a homemade tool to check caster? I need to, should only take 3 pieces of scrap metal and an angle finder.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ok, I got it...I have to find the right caster angle. Some people have told me that it is 5-7 degrees some have told me that it is 7-9 degrees.

I do not know if they are talking about positive or negative degrees and why so be of a difference (5-9)

Back