Transmission & Fiberglass

LBR

2 questions for ya'll
1) need a 4 or 5 speed manual transmission for a 77 CJ-5, 304, Dana 20 transfer - what is the heaviest duty unit that will bolt up to the 304 and Model 20 with or without adapters? It needs to have a syncromesh 1st gear and no "granny" ratios (a 4.03:1 ratio is OK, but no 6.??:1 ratios, please) Is the T-4 & T- 5 the most logical? If so, what punishment will they withstand?
2) What brand of fiberglass is most prefered amongst all of you for fit, stamina, prep for paint (etc)? Need to replace most all major components. Cost is not the formost concern - just quality.

Well I can tell you according to A. A. the early T4 and T5 are not recomended for use behind a v8. I am not sure about the newer ones but someone told me (don't know if its true never looked it up) that they are stronger. What I would actually suggest would be the T-18 used before 77. It has a 1st gear ratio of 4.02-1 and it was a factor option from 72 to 76. It is a very heavy duty transmission. The T-18a was used after 76 and has a gear ratio of 6.32-1 . I take it that what you got in yours? Here where I got the info at.

http://www.cjoffroad.com/writeup.asp?WU_ID=15&noAdd=1

Sorry can't help about the fiber though.

For all the girls...

The T-4 and T-5 are junk. Do not under any circumstances swap one of those behind a built V-8, unless you drive like grandma. If someone offers to sell you an SR-4 four speed, punch them in the jaw. The T-176 is the only manual used in CJs after 79 that is worth using. None of those will bolt to your D20 transfer case because they have the circular mounting pattern of the D300. Since you are going to be buying a transmission anyways, why not try and find a T-176 AND the Dana300(better low-range) that came behind it? In my area, they will usually throw in the transfer case for free if it hasn't been separated from the transmission already. In my opinion, this is the best all around manual transmission/transfer case combination ever offered from the factory in a CJ.

Junkpile - that seems like a viable option - looks to have a 3.82:1 1st gear - combined with my 3.54:1 butt gears should work good for the 'ol beeper - is it a syncro first gear?? My info didn't specify.

Well I can tell you from experience you might want to watch. I have the T-176 in my jeep. Its a pretty good transmission but mine doesn't have a sychroniqed first. They are supposed to be so the Sychronizeres just might be out on first gear, but its only first. They rest work just fine. So watch where you get your transmission from. I would however still probably go with the T-18. You can also look in Scout I's they have that transmission as well.

There are alot of different versions of the T-18, be careful when purchasing one if you didn't actually see what vehicle it came out of.

i wouldnt get fiberglass, its a pin in the arse. I just put a fiberglass body kit on my civic and its allready cracked 6 times just in installation, no way fiberglass could stand up to a trial

Thanx for your responses - I have decided to stay with the OEM T-150 and steel tub (may use a one piece front-end though). For the most part, we will be running this CJ easily after it's resurrection LBR

Back