Spring over... Almost done!

Joopin

Super Moderator
Okay guys, this past weekend I finally did my soa. I got most of it done, and I am doing the little stuff after work everyday. This is what I have so far...

image-missing.png

With one of the tires in front...

image-missing.png

I just have to weld the shock mounts on, adjust the drag link, and relocate the track bar.

Has anyone used a front track bar relocation bracket? Mine came with RE SOA kit I bought. If I put it parallel with the axle tub the track bar and drag link touch, my only other option seems to be putting it perpendicular with the axle tube. Here is a pic of it parallel...
image-missing.png

Thats wrong, correct? Any thoughts? Hopefully the tires will go on tonight, I have been keeping them off cause they would just get in the way...

yep, the D44 is done and I'm bringing it to the shop to do the front tomorrow... 4.56s with a limited slip carrier in the rear, keeping the front open.

Help me test out the new Reader Rides section

i know you have welder access.. you can make a tracbar relocation bracket... on BBJ we made one that bolts into the spring plate

Yeah I could do that, or modify the one I have... Hey snitty, on BBJ, what did you do about the steering dampner? When I cut the old perches off there was a spot to bolt up the other end of the steering dampner. Now I have nothing. I was thinking of welding a bolt or nut to something, but where? Any ideas?

I admit that Wranglers aren't my thing so here's my comment: What is the trac bar good for? Cj's never had them. Nobody uses the sway bars either. Seems to me you could just take it off.
Have you addressed the issue of rear axle wrap yet? You are going to need to build some traction bars back there or it will be adios rear driveshaft. True?

That angle on your drag link looks too steep. I believe you are going to need a drop pitman or you may get bump steer and loose some turning radius.

I'm not trying to pick on your job there, but it looks like you have the front end rolled up to far. That will throw your caster out of whack and you will be steering into the ground.
Maybe it's right...I don't know. Alot of people think that a spring over is just swapping perches and putting on new u-bolts. I'm not saying that yours is wrong. You can only get so much from a picture but I know other people read this for the information and that is one more thing you have to look out for.

Well I solved the track bar problem. I just modified the bracket.
Redrooster, I did put on a dropped pitman arm, but I agree that the drag link is too steep. I did experiance some bump steer today too... the drag link still has to be adjusted but it won't break loose. I may have to buy a new one, is there such thing as a dropped drag link bar?
As for the axle wrap I will be making a traction bar later, I will make it within the 500 miles of gear break in time... I have to take it easy for 500 miles anyway. As for the front end up too far, how is that possible? I used the stock springs and just did an AAL.

So what else can I do about bump steer?

by the way I appriciate comments, this is my first time doing this and I need to know what to look out for.

I think what redrooster means is that the output of the front diff is pointed too steeply skyward, that it looks like the whole axle is "rolled" too much forward. not that the height of the front suspension is off, or too high (whats that???)

BTW... Looks nice, make sure you post pics once the tires are on.

there such thing as a dropped drag link bar
yea....its called a Z-link... but its kinda a half-assed solution... the proper thing to do is cross-over steering

a z link is perfectly safe and completely functional.... of course a high steer setup would be ideal... but the cost is overwhelming

Does anyone know where I can get a Z link bar? I looked at quadratec and they don't have anything, just the straight one.

You can weld a bracket to the springpad for the track bar.

You can make an s shaped drag link to go wih the dropped pitman arm.

poison spider customs sells the arms that mount to the top of the knuckle to relocate your steering.

There is a company out there that makes them, I have seen it on other peoples soa pages, they say they got it from a place called MIT. I don't know how to get ahold of them though, I hope its not the college! Anyone have info on a company that makes jeep parts, MIT?

Well I need to find this company, or anther that sells a dropped drag link!

Back