ok,CJ7 is stalling at idle now...what to look for first?

Sacredgroove

Headlight "problem"

going to adjust idle screw on carb(carb is only a year old,but unfortunately direct factory replacement-i didnt do it)
check air cleaner,pcv valve-although i changed both 4 months ago...have been in alot of mud and water though
check my plugs and wires
change my rotor button-forgot it when i did tune up

anything else offhand that i should look for if one of those doesnt solve it?
coming to a stop it just stalls...at idle at a stoplight it will stall...seems like all of my power dips when its about to stall-alternator possibly?

oh yeah...its an 84 cj7 5 speed 258 stock ;)
thanks!

this is a very recent problem....ran smooth as silk until last couple weeks-cold weather maybe?

ps

check out the "how to" section. there is a write up on cleaning out the carter carb venturis. it made my 258 stop stalling at idle.

Choke, Timing, Fuel Filter, Fuel pump. Check those next.

not sure what carb...previous owner had it replaced and i havent looked to see what kind-he said it was direct factory replacement,i'll check it out when it stops raining and i get started on it and let you know. thanks everyone! Dave

re

Never would I rain on your day there but my CJ came with a new Holley on it. So the seller said. It turned out it was a 25 year old Carter! I am hopeing that your seller was a bit more honest than mine was. If it turns out to be a carter and looks to have some age on it, I will be willing to bet that might be your problem. Mine to ran like a champ till one day and it was dieing and not idleing and all that neat stuff. Good luck and if it turns out to be a POS Carter 2 bbl I would go ahead and swap out for a webber or motorcraft 2150. Best of luck tug

It's a year old...time to build it. Your lucky a Carter lasted that long. My last friend who insists on staying old school and not switching to Fuel injection or at least a Motorcraft, rebuilds his every morning while eating a bowl of Cap'n Crunch.

I'd love fuel injection ,its relatively high on my list.
need a lift,one pieces,discos,33's first :)
probably do the engine next summer and go with fuel injection then.
going to try the venturi cleaning,among other things shortly,thanks for the hookup on that article!

quote]need a lift,one pieces,discos,33's first [/quote]

Doesn't do any good if it won't run right. :D Gotta defend my injected jeep with 31's, stock open amc 20. But my sway bar is gone!! :p

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Also don't forget the notorious vacuum leak from the intake gasket. Very easy to check out and not too hard to replace.
But I bet cleaning out the venturies in the carb will cure it. Once you do it once it only takes about a minute or two. Way simple, don't be nervous. A set of cheap torch tip cleaners will be your best friend.

ive seen the fuel injection kits in various parts catalogs for around $2k
they also mention that they are basically YJ parts from 91-95...so cant I just go to a junkyard and get all those parts off a yj alot cheaper?

Tug,how do you like your motorcraft?

Yes and no. They are mainly the same set up with a few parts that very like the manifold itself. (4.2 head vs 4.0 head.) No if you swapped heads out too, big power gain!!!

That kit is the full blown 4.0 liter kit, there are much cheaper versions out there. I have the cheapest one out there and it rocks!! They all are all good,I mean better,....... well A TON better then any carb. Thereis also a TBI set up off a S-10/blazer. Which is basically what the Holly set up is with less complications with install.

But unless your putting your injection kit on tomorrow or the next time you have 30 minutes try this. Take off your air cleaner while she is idling. Look down the carb throat and look at the stream of fuel you see. Is it perfectly steady?? is it dribbling, or skipping, etc..........if it isn't steady and smooth you need to clean it. (It's about a once a year ordeal and take just a few minutes) You don't even have to remove the carb just the top section and it comes right off with minimal effort. Somewhere there is a link on off-road.com that explains it step by step. You will see how easy after you attempt it.

If it is steady then you probably have a vacuum leak and injection won't help solve that anyways. Start it up and spray a little starter fluid/carb cleaner/ along the base of the carb. Then try the intake manifold where it bolts up to the head. Remember starter fuild is REALLY flamable!!! Hot engines can start it easily so be carefull.

If the the engine revs its got a leak.

could also be a clogged cat. just a thought, but that pos carter is probly the problem. its an easy fix and dosent cost anything.

Hey, I did the venturi thing on my Carter. Not only did I clean it out, but I also drilled it out. Has been (knock,knock) working fine since. Really easy thing to do. Don't even have to take the carb off.

Back