Just not a CJ kind of guy!

Tug-n-pull

As you may or may not know I just have never been real happy with my CJ. I miss my YJ and want another so I have come to the point that I plan to sell my CJ and look for another YJ for me to build.

My question is should I part out the ol 79 or sell it as a whole unit. Fact is it is one ugly old jeep but it is ready for a lift and tires to be a really great trail jeep.

Here is what I have in a nut shell!
79 CJ7
258 with a Motorcraft 2150 carb. New manifold gasket. New Valve cover gasket. New wires plugs cap and rotor. New exaust manifold on back. Runs really good on angles and idels like a champ.

T-18 granny low transmission shifts like a dream with a Dana 20 transfer also shifts with ease. The diffs and drive lines are stock.

New 3 row radaitor, hoses, heater core, and Blazer up grade blower motor. Heats up like a cook stove.

Hard top and bikini. Hard top is an after market ugly ol thing but is warm and dry. No leaks and even has a wrap around gutter to keep you dry when entering on a rainy day. Seals up real well and keeps you nice and comfortable.

Needs front fenders at some point rust is there but for a trail jeep not a problem.

Floor pans have been repaired fiberglassed and are good and solid.

Tub is in fair condition could be reworked with ez. Looks are ok and functions well.

Springs and shocks are shot but it needs a lift anyway so no biggie there,

Motor seems to be nice and dry no leaks but at the rear main seal and that is minnor. could use new valve seals, piviots and rockers.

Power disc breaks in the front and all are good. Power stearing works good. Will need a front end rebuiild at some point but now it drives ok.

Tires are a simple mud and snow 235 stock size but traction is good for what they are.

Camo paint, fiberglass windshield frame, roll up windows on the hard doors.

I have made it a good running and well preforming stocker cj for the trails but have no desire to put any more money into it. Just not my idea of the the Jeep for me.

Question is should I part it out or sell it like it is? Want ot get as much out of it as I can. What would you ask for it like it sets if it were your's Thanks in advance for your help.

Leakin TC

WOOOHOOOO I knew you would come back to the good side :lol:

Its hip to be square!

SELLOUT!!!!!! :lol:

I don't know what you've got in it as far as $$, but I'd say you'd be better off selling it than parting it out. Looks like CJs are getting a pretty good price on Ebay.

Definitely sell the whole thing. Could you imagine selling the axles, transmission, t-case, maybe the radiator and then you're left with a frame-body-motor and no way to transport it!? That's a headache. Unless you have a large piece of land where you can leave this thing. Personally, that's more hassle than I'd be willing to deal with. Sure in the long run you might get more $ for parts than the whole, but is it worth it? Not to me.

Sell it whole.

C

I agree with the previous posts, Tug. Sell as-is. You did a heck of alot of work to it and though you may not be a CJ-guy, there are plenty out there.

Probably just what somebody is looking for. Heck, all the BS work is done and all she needs is a lift and tires, right? Somebody will snatch it up for sure!

Sell it whole. You can advertise it as a "Hunter's Special" with that camo paint. I think it would bring more money if you sanded it down and at least put a Maaco paint job on it. The cleaner looking Jeeps seem to bring more money.

Hi-Ya Tug,

If I were in your position, I would try to sell Tugly as-is.

It might take forever to sell the CJ piecemeal, and you could end up with parts you cannot sell.

Too, It would be nice to have all of the money from the sale of Tugly in one payment to put toward the cost of the next Jeep.

Oneday, in another thread, I would ask that you expound at length on why you prefer a YJ to a CJ. You are the only person I know who has had both models and actually offroaded them. Your experience, expertise and opinions would be valuable to the rest of us.

Regards,

Gadget

I was in your situation a few months back. going from a yj to a cj5 was a huge difference. loved my yj as a a daily driver but my cj was far more superior offroad. but i needed a daily driver so i had to go back to the yj. and like the other guys have said, sell it whole. parting it out would be a big pain in the @#$.

good luck

Keep her for play,......................It's paid for cheap wheeling fun!!!!!!!!!

Be patient and save for a YJ.

YOU only think you're a YJ man, but now that you have been in a CJ you are forever hooked. Don't make me tell you I told you so down the road.

I see where this thread is going. The YJ will not let you down and is every bit as good (if not better) than a CJ. Hold out for a 4.0L with the MPFI and you'll be very happy with your purchase. I bet there are more after market products available for the YJ, plus if you needed a "dealership only" part, the chances are better that they would have it, as opposed to the CJ. YJ's are reliable for everyday, and as capable off-road, maybe more so. The Dana 35 is a good example of an improvement. Sure it's weak compared to the 44, but consider the 2 piece Model 20 in the back end of a CJ. It ain't pretty when someone spins one out.

$.02
C

tug, how come theres not a keep option on the pole question? keep tugly in the family and get rid of your boys ranger. remember how you felt when you sold your TJ (last year) give her to one of your boys or pass her on to ma'ma' tug. if money is an issue maybe you are puttin' you wants infront of your needs. whats better than a jeep in the family.............ollllo dlllb two jeeps in the family. my $.02

if you part it out i will be very disaponited.... dont part a running jeep

I was in the same situation a few years back with a car I owned. I'd figure out what you want for the whole jeep. Then figure out how much your most expensive or valuable parts on the vehicle are. If the price of these parts comes anywhere near the price of the vehicle, then advertise these parts and tell whoever is interested they can have the whole vehicle for a few bucks more. For example I had an Oldsmobile that looked like nothin special but the motor and trans. were worth quite a lot. I didn't get any hits on what I thought it was worth because any other Oldsmobile advertised in the paper of the same year was a lot cheaper. I advertised the motor and trans and had a guy come along who wanted them. I told him the only way he could have'em is if he took the whole thing away. I got what the motor and trans. were worth, not what the vehicle was worth compared to other vehicles of the same make and model.

Please don't part out that CJ. It runs and drives! Leave it in one piece for someone else who might be looking for that exact thing, and could appreciate it a little more.
I am not a resto nut. I have never been one to complain about people modifying ANY vehicle. They should be modified. If your name is on the title then you should do whatever you want......but please try to remember, they aren't making anymore CJ5s. Surely you would anger the mighty Jeep gods by killing off one just "because".

OK gang I get it! sell it or keep it but don't part it out. You all make a lots of sence. Was very late last night when this was takeing place.

Bought it at a bargan and have piece milled the thing back to health. shopped all the parts and did most all the work on it myself. But even after that I have no Love for the Jeep. I do not dislike it cause it is a very solid good running old Jeep.

so n2jeeps that is your answer as to why not keep the jeep. As for my son getting it in 6 months or so he will be away at Basic Training and off to a life in the Military. Needing a more dependable ride for then than my ol CJ.

Gadget I will post no Why some time. I just love the YJ and feel it the best suited for me. The CJ is nice but....

Hey Jason. Momma tug don't care either way. she has bout had her fill of jeeps period. But she never really says anything about my dealings in them.

I guess the only other question is what is it worth? tug

Never having had a YJ, I guess I cannot make an honest comment on your situation.

I wanted a jeep for a long time and did not want one of the newer ones due the the solid construction of the older models. I paid only $1000 for my '81 CJ5 and put about another $600 into her to make her road worthy(regeared axles, rework TC, misc.). Now, she is not the most comfortable ride, but I like her. Original motor purrs like a kitten, blazer blower upgrade keeps me toasty warm now and rust is not a major problem. Only thing I am going to add soon is a radio and speakers and new soft top. Never have seen the sense in a hard top, just my opinion.

If you are able, keep her as a toy and buy you a YJ. Good CJ's are still easy to come by, but with all the work you have put in to yours, you will regret selling it. Maybe not now, but down the road.

Just my $.02

Joel

if I had the cash on me I would take her off ya hands. that would be a fun "in-tow" jeep. Imagine. a Muddy TJ hauling a Camo CJ to the trails.

Just throw a Tow-bar on her.

I must not like CJ's either since the only original issue part on mine is the steering column (it has hydraulics on one end and a Grant steering wheel on the other). Oh yeah, the headlight bezels and the gas tank are original. untouched too.

Back