4 cylinder to 6 cylinder?????????

rbcj5.jeepz.com

I was wondering what all that you have to change to pull out a 4 cylinder and put in a 6 cylinder???? Anyone that knows PLEASE help me and let me know if it is even possible!!!!!

its possible, im in the process of doing it... you need to get the motor trans harness computer and the motor mounts from a doner jeep, your old 4 cyl mounts will be cut off and you have to weld on the donor mounts...most of everything wlse will plug in and work,

should probably swap out the transmission too. i don't think that ax-5 will handle 2 more cylinders very well

I think he was a CJ5. I saw in your description that you have a 232 6cyl, I haven't had any experience with those. Are they pretty strong engines?

check this out

From what I understand, a 232 is exactly the same as a 258 with a little shorter stroke. I hear the block is identical.

Some of the CJ's were already drilled at the rame to take whatever engine mounts they ended up using at the factory. There may not be any welding required to instll the motor mounts. The AX-5 is not the preferred transmission but shoul ahndle the 6 banger. If you can, find a T-176 and Dana 300. You will like that setup a lot more.
My factory skid pan was set up to take several different combinations. That is why I say that you may be able to put anyone of them in there.

the ax 5 wont bolt up to the 6 cyl, the ax 15 will tho the 5 is for the 4 cyls and the 15 is for 6 cyls

I do have the 232 CID engine. It is a very strong engine. And it is Identicle to the 258 from the outside. They only difference is the Stroke is shorter which gives the less displacement. They only made them up until 78. With the Mods I have done to it, it has lots of power. In fact unless it is a really steep hill I don't even have to shift out of fourth and its a 4 speed. I do have the T176 transmission too and Mine had the 151 cid 4 cylinder in it when I got it. so I can help rbcj5.jeepz.com once he lets me know what Engine Transmission combo he has. I did alot of research on it when I did my swap.

derf96963-- I hear ya man! Runnin the old 232. That's cool.

rbcj5-- If you have the GM iron duke four sitting in front of the T176, you could swap in a Chevy V8 with minimal effort(same engine pattern). I wouldn't try it with the SR-4 4speed, but the T176 can handle a mild one. I think most of the four cylinders from 80-82 got the VERY weak Ford SR-4, which can barely handle the factory four. The engine mounts are easy and there are lots of companies that make swap mounts. The minimal wiring isn't difficult, a call to Painless Wiring and some cash, and it will be even easier.
To go six you need a bellhousing and I think a new clutch, some engine mounts and frame brackets, a radiator, the right brackets to hang your accessories on the new engine, and some wiring.

AX-5s and AX-15s didn't come in CJs.

jeepin916 said:
the ax 5 wont bolt up to the 6 cyl, the ax 15 will tho the 5 is for the 4 cyls and the 15 is for 6 cyls
You can now use the AX15 behind the 2.5L using a bellhousing from a Dakota 2.5L. The Dakota's 5spd behind the 4banger is the AX15.

I know, it's all newer stuff and doesn't apply to the CJ talk here.

:shock: You can bolt an AX-15 behind the 2.5l now? WoW, wish that was possible when I had mine. That would have saved some money and headaches.

Back