setting up YJ spring on a full sized dana 44

west747

i was wondering if any body knew how to shape or change the oridgnal casting for the leaf spring on a dana 44 to accept a yj spring. the problem is i have to move the spring in half an inch or so. If any one comes across any articals on this please let me know. this isnt a huge deal and i have some ideas on how to make this work but i want to know if there is a better way to to it. thanks!

pictures would be helpful as well.

You either need to grind away part of the diff to mount the spring pad flush with the stock spring pad, or mount both spring pads higher so you can move further over the diff.

Is this what you're referring to?

yeah that was pretty much what i was asking. it doesnt have too move in very far so i think i might be able to use the stock casting spring perch. just drill as new center hole and fill the cast out with some weilds. not sure tho guess i make that desicion when the time comes. thanks for the help tho.

Snitty, wider axles with narrow distance between leaf springs means that the front diff will be very close to one spring pack, or right where a spring pack should be. Grinding the diff housing is about the only way to do it right.

35" mud rovers

What D44 are you using?

If you don't have to move in much(1/2" or less), then grinding is okay. If you know anyone with a milling machine big enough to hold it, you could do it alot easier and also go ahead and reangle it to tip the pinion a little bit. I wouldn't fill the old pin hole with weld, make a steel plug from some round stock and zap it in place with a couple of good tack welds, then drill the new hole.
If you have to go any further than that then you need to make some brackets to move the spring hangers outboard of the frame enough to match the existing spring pads on the axle. You can also shorten the long side and just slide the axle over, but that's expensive and then the front will be narrower than the rear.

http://www.jeeptech.com/convaxle/d44f.html

ok.. i'm understanding that... i wasn't quite sure what was goin on.... i was aware that some diff offsets are interfering

signal works, but hazards dont

i am using an f-250 dana 44(1979) i beleive this is the gem of dana 44's that are fullsize but could be wrong.,. i think i am leaning towards the grinding method. i am pretty sure all i have to do is grind away some of the webing and then just weild in a new spring mount. then all i have to do is raise the other side to match. ( there will be a slight diff in height as one perch will be sitting on top of the old casted perch0 thanks for all the help guys. it is greatly appreciated!

The general method is to move the spring hangers outboard of the frame rail. You have to know what you are doing to get the weld to take to the cast (nickel content).
If you want to break bad on the thing then look at www.bluetorchfab.com.
They have full width conversion kits for the frontend that include: bumper, shackle reversal setup and the hangers to weld on the outside. It's an awesome looking kit. I think it as about $380.

is outboarding the springs the general method when using full-sized axles? i have seen this set-up before but thought it wasnt all that common. any adverse effects from outboarding the springs/? Steering radius?

Go to general chat and look at page 2 of the thread "Got to ask this question" you can see a picture of the front of my Jeep. It has a Chevy Dana 60 with the springs out board of the frame rail. I did a shackle reversal and moved the front spring hangers out 9.5" over stock (longer wheelbase). The bumper and front spring hangers are all welded together and to the frame.
What you can't see is the rear shackle hanger brackets welded to the side of the frame. They look similar to the ones on that Blue Torch site I referred you to.
It is very stable on the road and works well in the woods.

cant find it. the closest one i found was on dana 60 steering geometery. can you give me a direct link?

also it is an awsome website and forums. very, very informative. thanks for the link! :D

i also noticed that the majority of those guys are running 14 ff rear ends :shock: those are some big jeeps!

Back