Burnt engine harness...

jeepin916

well i opened my hood 2day cuz my vents wouldnt change settings and guess what i find..... the wires that i ran for my KC lites burnted up, they were wired around the engine harness and the ground strap from the hood to the body was rubbign against it and took off the insulation, dont know when that happened tho but it must have been rubbing for a while.
well when that wire burned up it burnted some of the harness wires so now i gotta tape those up, but it looks like i had a little fire under there a few sensors were melted on the intake but it dont look that serious.... shes still running and i fixed those live wires, now all i gotta do is replace that sensor and the hoses to my washer jets on the hood and ill be set... it sux tho.....

soo.......... :shock: if anyone is running wires make sure they dont rub against anything or your gunna have a problem like me or maybe even worse :shock:

Really all you needed to do it put inline fuses in for any aditional wiring you do as close to the power source for them as possible. if you had the moment it rubbed through and shorted out if would have blown the fuse and wouldn't have caused a fire. Just something to think about.

thats the weird part i do have fuses, and i dont think they blew, i wireing kit it came with had all the fuses in them with 30a fuses, i should go check and see if they poped or not i dont think they did cus it was still sparking when i moved them and taped a few of them up, i allready cut some of the wires out that i dotn need and threw them out... i guess ill check 2morrow

Priceless...

Chances are 30 amp fuses were way oversized for the application... it is your responsibility to make sure you are using a fuse to properly protect the load and wiring. Don't always think that the fuse that comes with something is neccesarily the best size for the application...

On the other hand, it IS possible it wasn't a dead short, but was instead arcing for some time. Arcing will sometimes not be enough to blow a fuse, specially since most auto fuses are slow-blow... :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

i thought that a 30a fuse might have been too big but for the lights i have i figured it might need a fuse that big .... but any way ill know next time......

Back