Sahara slows alot when letting off the gas.

patlisa514

Hi, I just bought a '99 Sahara with 92,000 mi. Impecable shape including the 4.0 6IL. I live in Massachusetts and the title came out of Texas, so it didn't live through the salt road storms of winter here, yet! My wife and I love it for our third vehicle and fight over who gets the Jeep or the 4 kids and the minivan :lol: My only concern (Automatic transmission) is the vehicle seems to slow up rapidly when you let off the gas. Almost like the brakes were on. Is this normal or am I missing something. The previous owners kept this vehicle in excellent shape, they didn't even remove the hard top and the soft top is still in the plastic wrap. (Paid $9,995) so I feel as if I got a great deal. The tires were brand new with no miles. Wrangler GSA's 30 x 9.5 with the alloy wheels. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks Pat and Lisa PS I know I will get alot of smart answers to the slowing when letting off the gas, but it feels like excessive drag.

Is this your first Jeep? If so, let it be known that you drive a box. The word "aerodynamics" does not apply on this forum. Perhaps in the Grand Cherokee section, but not wranglers and CJs. That could be one difference you notice.

If you still feel that it's more than necessary, you could have a back pressure problem. This could mean you need a new catalytic converter. Not a huge problem.

But if I were betting on it... it's operating fine.

C

Well I expected smartass answers, but I didn't expect them to also make sense. Thanks for the quick reply and will check this out. I do get 17 mph on the highway and around 14-15 in town. thanks patlisa514

hard top

Reach under the left side of the dash and pull that handle marked "parking brake." That should do it.

P.s. Sorry...I couldn't resist.

Pat, you'll be hardpressed to get a smartass answer here on this forum (edit: maybe one from redrooster). You won't find a nicer group of Jeepers around and you'll (almost) always find an answer to your question.

Welcome to the boards and congrats on the new Jeep. :D

Its probably just engine braking due to the automatic transmission... mine does it too. I could be wrong but i think alot of it is when you moving at higher (highway) speeds, the torque converter doesnt unlock right away, which really increases the engine braking.

So unless my jeep has a problem too (which might be ;)) its just normal auto transmission behavior.

HTH

Nathan

Pat, you'll be hardpressed to get a smartass answer here on this forum (edit: maybe one from redrooster).
Yeah, he's right. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I do try to answer some questions along the way though. I'm just here for everyone's entertainment. You know there is always "one."

No offense Red Rooster!!! Though my e brake is between the seats and yes I did check it a few times. I think the auto transmission just might be the problem, sure wish it had an overdrive or 4spd auto. thanks all for your feedback

Unless you hear something sounding abnormal, or you really feel something wrong with the jeep I wouldnt worry about it. My gf thought the same thing of her new CRV (auto tran), and it was hard to convince her that it was just how the gearing or automatic break is. Even though its Auto, does it feel like it does when you gear down to slow down in a standard? Ive found thats usually the case.

welcome to the board! a bunch of us are going wheeling next weekend on 1/17 in Mass if you want to meet a few of us. good luck with the jeep, do you have any pics?

Thanks for the offer Wrangred, but I work weekends, that three day work week is killing me!!!!! :mrgreen: Where do you go in Mass, my wife doesn't work weekends, she's 5'3", blond, gorgeous, naah, that was a silly idea, you guys don't want some attractive woman getting in the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the axle gear ratio? My guess is 3.73 which would account for the large amount of parasitic drag slowing you down. It's a good low gear ratio that will come in handy when you increase tire size :twisted:

gadget,
i dont belive TJs have OD... which would definaltly keep it out of OD :mrgreen:

5th gear in all Wrangler manual trannies is an overdrive as 4th is 1:1.

I'm thinking OD may be in '04 TJ's but I'm not sure. All older Wranglers are a 3-speed auto with 1:1 3rd gear.

Remember that the engine braking when letting off the gas is compounded by lower axle gear ratios.

Back