Ye old re-gearing question...

GreenReaper93

Hey everyone! I have a question that might seem relatively bone-headed, but I need some answers. It's time once again to throw some tires under the beastbox and I was looking at re-gearing at the same time. I found a Ma and Pa shop that will do it for around $200 an axle. I've done the math and I'm looking to put a 3.73 ratio in (I'd go for 4.10, but I can't find any Jeeps in my area that are a automatic YJ, plus I'm broke and can't afford new one's)

Anywho, can I install these on my OE carriers, or do I need to find some from the local chop shop? At the moment I have 3.07 gears in there. Also, I read in an earlier thread about someone taking a front drive shaft off a TJ and using it as a rear one for another vehicle; was that you Bounty? ...besides shortening it up, has there been any more discussion on it? I'm curious to know. Thanks for the help in advance!

GR93

Elvis has left the building

When I was doing the research for my regearing, I found that the carrier changes when the first # in the ratio changes. Example: 3.xx=same carrier, 4.xx=larger carrier, 5.xx=even bigger... This is what the guy at Randy's Ring and Pinion told me anyways.
So if you are going from 3.07 to 3.73 the carrier will be the same, but if you go to 4.10 then you will need to change the carrier.
I hope this helps, sounds like you got a good deal on the regearing too!

Thanks Joopin'! I thought that was the case, but it's always better to get a second opinion :) Yeah, I couldn't believe that it would only cost $400 for both axles. Thanks again!

Re: my buddy rolled his rubi

Wait... ok, I just looked in my "4x4 Performance Handbook" about the carriers and it says that it can take up to 3.54 gearing.... now I'm confused.

T-Max Winch

Well, then thats a pickle... I was chasing around for an answer on this subject too. Thats why I called Randy's Ring and Pinion. For a definate answer I would call them, it's what they do and they are always there to help... just let them think you are purchasing new gears from them in a few weeks and they will dish it all out! 1-800-347-1188 or www.ring-pinion.com They may tell you the same thing I told you. Let me know what they say! Good luck.

the bigger carrier of the two starts at the 3.73 gear level, i think. also you can get 4.10's out of any 4cly jeep.

Really? Isn't that with the Auto. Trans. or just any 4 cly.? Thanks for the replys guys! Keep 'em commin'!

The manuals have the 4.10:1 gears. The point where you need a thicker carrier is called(how it was explained to me) the "case break", it is different with each type of axle. The reason is because as the ratio raises, the pinion gear becomes smaller in diameter and the ring gear must be moved over to mesh with it, so a higher ratio requires a carrier with a thicker ring gear mounting flange. For axles like the car type GM 12bolt you can get "thick"gears that compensate for the case break, or you can get ring gear spacers for some carriers. Just go find a 2.5l 5speed Wrangler, and be happy.

The 2.5L manual has 4.11 gears, the 2.5L auto is 3.73 gears. You'll need the different carrier for both 4.11 and 3.73 when switching from 3.07 gears.

The case break for the D35 and D30 is 3.55 for one and 3.73 for the other, don't remember which is which. It doesn't apply to you since you're going from 3.07 to either 3.73 or 4.10.

Go with the 4.10 and get your money's worth, if that's recommended by all the regearing charts/calculators.

From the re-gearing calculations I can run 33's with 3.73. Lucky for me (bad for the guy driving) a Jeep was just totalled from the insurance co. the other day. I'll have to see where it went to and scout it out... eww... sounds like a vulture. Thanks alot guy!

Go slightly lower for better acceleration and improved trail performance. It will also help make up for the added roatating mass of the larger tires. Downside is it will run higher rpms at highway speed.

Ok.... I'm only figuring on running 32's for the next couple of years due to Devan being so small and Beth-Ann and I not wanting to scale my Jeep just to put the child seat in ::wink:: . If I run the 3.73's that's plenty. And when I swap to 33's I still total out to 3.63 on the calculator. I'll have to see what I can find around here, I guess. If I can find the 4.10's I'll get 'em....If not, well 3.73 will just have to do for now :) Thanks again Guys!

3.73's are plentiful, don't forget to look in XJ's as long as the front axle is hi-pinion like the YJ's.

I agree, go with the 3.73 if you're getting 3.63 with 33" through your calculations.

I just wish the D30/35's could handle lower than 4.88 :cry:

Back