Intermittent No Start

avyoung

80 CJ5 Every once in a while I have a problem with it not starting. It is just like the battery is almost dead. It does the clicking thing but will not turn over. I have replaces some bad battery cables. Battery is about 6 months old. I have cleaned all terminals and ground. I have replaced remote starter solinoid, and Starter.

Yesterday I got stuck at the bank for 2 hours then all of the sudden when my father in law showed up to tow me home I decided to try it and it cranked over like a champ and fired up. I never know when it is going to happen. I also can not jump it. It seams like something is grounded but it doesn't drain the battery it just won't start. My other car is broke now so I need to get this fixed asap.

Dad just had that problem with his 7. Try shooting spray lube down the key hole. Do you only not get crank or do you have no power when turning the switch to run? If it only wont crank you can install a pushbutton switch that sends 12 v to the start terminal on the soliniod to get it to crank.

The radio comes back on but is really week. I also have a short that knocks out the fuse for my dash lights but I can't imagine it being related. It acts just like the battery is dying but then bam it has a ton of power and cranks like a maniac.

Mine has the same symptoms sometimes too. I seem to notice it more on really humid mornings (like if it rains the night before). Just clicks when I turn the key. Then I let it sit and try it 5-6 more times waiting a few minutes in between. A few minutes later it'll start right up?! Any ideas? jered.

It sounds like you may have corrosion in the bulk head connector. Unplug it and spray it down with a good electrical contact cleaner. It you have a bad connection there it could cause the symptoms that you are describing.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere in the ignition system. Could be at the bulkhead connector (usually located on the driver's side firewall) or in a splice somewhere. Sometimes the old Jeeps have bad, hacked-up wiring that comes loose or corrodes. Then they become a resistor and suck your power. They can also heat up and start a fire. Get a good volt/ohm meter and start checking wires for resistance. Check from your key to the fuse panel, then from the fuse panel to the solenoid, then from the solenoid to the coil. Also check the ballast resistor (if it has one). Good luck!

Back