Problems, problems and more problems

Beach_Jeep

Well, I bought my 81 CJ-7 in May last year. Its a weekend toy, beach cruiser/boat launcher. I have a crank shaft ventalation problem and I cant seem to find the cause. She is leaking oil from the rear main, valve cover as well as the oil pan. Not a huge deal...just very messy.

This weekend I start her up only to find she is stuck in 1st gear. Its just locked in gear and I cant get it free. I rolled it backwards out of the driveway and was popping the clutch and getting on and off the gas trying to break it free. It looks like I killed the clutch in the process. Its slipping and not grabbing at all anylonger...still locked in 1st.

How much can I expect to pay for a new clutch with install?
Anyone have any idea why it would be stuck in gear?
Crank shaft ideas?

I'm going to call some trans shops as well as a few Jeep restro shops here in the Tampa FL area. I'll have to have it towed and sure this is going to be costly. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,

Beach Jeep

I had a 4 speed that did that once. It sounds like you have a clutch problem, but I had one of the roll pins from the shift fork work it's way out and was hitting another shift fork and not letting the gears change. Take off the knob, boot, floor pan, shifter and transmission top plate and you'll see it. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not.

Your ventilation problem is most likely the PCV valve and/or the hose leading from it. If this is clogged it could cause the pressure to build up enough to damage the oil pan and valve cover gaskets. Take it out and see if it rattles. If it doesn't is shot, get a new one and clean the PCV hose with a spray cleaner and make sure that the port on the carb isn't all gunked up.

od

my brother had the same problem with his 85 cj and it was the pin. It worked loose in the transmission and jammed the gears. It was a simple fix once he was shown how to do it. I can't help you on the clutch but you'll have to drop the transfer and transmission to do it. Good luck

Back