sound bar vs speakers

Greencuke

ive been looking at iron horse's new "six speaker sound bar". its got subs and tweeters and such all mounted on it. My question is which would i be better doing, getting that or getting a regular sound bar and mounting subs and an amp that way? Im looking to conserve as much space as i can, so i was thinking that if i go that way, id mound the amp under the rear seat and the sub under the driver seat... anyone got anytihng to say one way or the other? [addsig]

I've got that same soundbar in my '97 TJ. First off, if you're ever driving with the top down, you're not gonna get the greatest sound. That's one of the few drawbacks to owning a Jeep...you can't have good stereo sound. You can mount your speakers the other way, but again, your sound may be kinda thin. I consulted a stereo store about the same questions you had. There solution: mount a big amp under the seat, build a box and set it in the back. That'll give you "bigger" sound, but with everything in the open, you risk theft. I finally conceded to just having the soundbar (believe me, Korn doesn't sound as good coming through 6" speakers) and on really nice days (or nights), I just let the road be my sound track.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have a 94 YJ so it has the same body as your's. Here's what I have: I have 2 8x9's in boxes that are wedged between my back seat and body...they fit perfectly. Before I put the speakers and cotton in the boxes, i drilled 2 holes in each box and put a U-bolt in them so that the U part is on the outside. I took a chain and wrapped it around the roll bar a few times and then connected it with a lock (i put the chain through the U-bolt). I get a lot of comments with this. It pretty-much deters theives and it looks really cool. In the back I have a 12" sub and an amp(which is mounted onto the box). I measured the space between the roll bars and the tailgate and I cut out a piece of wood to cover that(so that people cant see). I put eye-hooks on each corner of the board and in the "trunk" towards the bottom... I then attached springs to the eye-hooks. That keeps the cover on. My friend custom-made my box because there arent any boxes out there that will fit in that tiny space. If you're interested, he'll make you a box cheap. Tell me what you think. -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

sounds really cool. THe problem i have with that is that i have a trunk box, which takes up the spacewhereur subs are. Im trying real hard to conserve all the space i can for storage, so i want to be able to leave the trunk for holding stuff. what do u think about putting an amp undder the back seat and a single sub under the driver seat, or maybe subs on the wheel wells..?[addsig]

There's only one problem with putting the subs under your seats. They need to be in a sealed-off box and it has to be a certain size for each sub. Subs create movement and need to bounce off of something to get sound (otherwise it's really quite). That's why they're always in those big boxes. Honestly, if you bought subs and put them under your seats it'd really only be a waste money. You dont need them, only if you wanna feel your music
image-missing.png
. Try the 6x9 thing I told you about... that puts out a lot of sound. -Mike

PS: once I get my Jeep down to school with me, I can send you pictures (January)[addsig]

Back