CJ7 Horn fix

BakedAlaskan

Hopefully this will help you out that have had a hard time fixing their horns.

I broke my horn button/turn signal cancel trying to put my steering wheel back on one day. I tried to ask for info finding the pieces I broke with no luck. So here is what I found and did.

The turn signal canceler, spring plate, and horn button contact/spring can all be found at NAPA. All basic 69-80ish GM parts

Signal canceler part # w/tilt wheel 735-2188
w/o tilt wheel 735-2950 (About $6.50)

Horn spring plate part# 735-2951 also cheap

Horn contact button/spring kit 735-2822 about $3.00

And here is the kicker, I used a New Nissan Sentra Horn. NO it's not the old wimpy beep beep import sound. It's your basic FIAM Snail shell Horn but has a anti splash shield over the opening. It's loud, deep sounding and cost just over $12 bucks. Nissan Part# 25620-5M000

Hope this helps some of you out. Now My turn signals cancel, my horn works to piss off those that piss me off, and My Jeep is one step closer to being perfect to me.

Sounds like you got a little creative there. Good job.

And what is with the wimpy horn they put on Jeeps? I am definately going to have to find another horn to replace the stock one.

That's awesome that you did the horn parts write-up! Mine doesn't work, and this couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you!

i got an air horn off of ebay for 12 bucks. havent hooked it up yet, but a friend of mine has the same one and it is very loud. if anyone is thinking about getting a better horn just search for air horn on ebay. they are always on there for about 10-20 bucks. compressor and all!

freezing choke

That's just what I need. I broke mine on my 79 cj and haven't gotten around to fixing it right yet. Rigged mine with a spring from a pen and a rivet. Now I can get parts that work right! Thanks!

OK, so I replaced the horn and the spring plate, but now I have to replace the horn contact. It appears I have to pull the steering wheel off. Is this correct? If not, then what do I need to do. Thank you in advance.

Yes you have to remove the steering wheel to get to the next item. Remove the wheel nut and washer, and you might as well remove the three screws and horn button assembly. Get a steering wheel puller or prepare to beat the snot out of the wheel with a hammer to remove it. (Put the nut back on a few threads to keep the wheel from hitting you in the chin.) Once removed you can push hard on the black plastic contact assembly and you will see a small snap ring. With some patience and a small flat head screwdriver you can work the spring clip out of the groove.

Pull the assembly off and you should see the signal cancel and horn contact unit. It is the two pieces listed with part numbers from NAPA. (Horn contact and signal cancel.) The spring kit comes with a black plastic retainer that locks the spring in the down position. (Ignore any cutting direction listed in the kit) MAKE SURE you release it BEFORE you lock the Black Horn contact ring back on the column.

Ask away if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the reply, I got a steering wheel puller yesterday and got it all fixed. I didn't have any problems getting the steering wheel off! Guess I got lucky. Now my horn works, and I am gonna be a beepin' fool! :lol:

Back