Strange "clicking" noise

laneiac

So as u may or may not know, I replaced the clutch and concentric bearing on my girlfriend's 93 yj. Works perfectly, no problems. Well she complained of this noise, a "clicking" type noise that increased with vehicle speed coming from the shifter area. At idle it is very faint, just a tap tap tap, but when she gives it gas at idle, it the noise seems to speed up. Any ideas? I thought perhaps exhaust leak, but the noise doesnt always occur. Only about 70-80% of the time. Any ideas will be appreciated. Lane

are you sure everything was put back correctly in the clutch system?

Yeah, we were very careful about putting everything back correctly. Only thing I can think is that the noise was there before, and now she is just hearing it becasue she is expecting something to be wrong, or she is just over scrutinizing it.

If everything is fine, tell her it is a rock in the tire tread! (assuming she is as gullible as my Misses, she'll believe you for years to come!!)

Sounds like the motor is skipping, and you are hearing it through a exhaust leak. did you remove a portion of the exhaust when you pulled the transmission/t-case etc?

Yes, we had to disconnect the exhaust from the header. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Ill feed her the rock in tire line, but it will only work for so long.

tell her it is the manifold bearing.. and that it would cost about $700 to fix... but it's not hurting anything

Got Heat

Does it quit when the engine gets warm? It may be the exhaust collector gasket where you took the pipe loose. Try tightening the bolts a little. My suburban starts that about every 6 months, then I get under there and tighten the bolts down and it lasts another 6 months.

Definitely try to retighten the flange bolts on the exhaust. After they heat up a few times they always seem to loosen a bit. If you can snug them when she is warm without burning yourself that always works great.

Back