questions about motorcraft swap

jeep90

almost done with my motorcraft 2100 swap. it came from a 1975 jeep wagoneer with a 360, remanufactured, and its the 1.08 if all that helps.

1. first question...and most important. the choke on this carb is not electric, it appears to be the type that works off of heated air from the manifold. where can i run a hose from on my engine to get this choke working? i cant find anything to tap into or anything. or is there an alternative besides a manual choke?

2.even if i take the idle speed screw the whole way out it wont idle any lower than 1000 rpm's, what am i missing here?

3.i got the basic 9" air cleaner and the bolt that holds down the air cleaner will not work. it seems that the whole in the center of the carb is not threaded.

thats it for now.....im sure ill think of more :roll:

thanks in advance....

you have to get a threaded rod. you can pick up the kit at any pepboys type store. just thread it on and cut it to size. with the choke, if you have a flat metal spade coming from the choke housing, you have an electric choke. If you do have one, just connect the original plug from the choke on the carter. It might not work though, i have to go with the manual cable conversion soon. With the manifold air tube thing on the choke housing, i just plugged it up because i couldnt find anything to connect it to. its there as a feedback for temperature in the choke. once the motor is warmed up, you dont have to worry about it starting right up again, so just plug it up b/c it is a major vacuum leak that needs to be addressed. My setup is working great even though the choke isnt working like it should.

i just read that there is a heat tube coming off of the exhaust manifold that the carter used...anyone know where?

body lift w/ ac?

i think that they are talking about a large diameter tube fitting on the front of the exhaust manifold... it would connect via flexy tube to the stock air cleaner. The kit comes with a male-female rod adapter. the adapter screws into the carb, and the rod goes into the adapter.

Well I hope I can help some. As for the choke if it is an electric you don't need the heat tube too. I have the heat tube on there but I have it plugged. The eletric part works just fine by itself. I don't beleive they had a choke that wasn't electric unless it was a manual. The heat from the heat tube itself would not work fast enough to work the choke properly. As for the high idle it could be a few things. The first thing would be to check for any vacuum leaks. If you got air leaking around the carb or if there is any unpluged vacuum ports on the carb it will idle high. If you don't have any then I would look the the idle speed screw. Is the plate touching the screw or is something stopping it from comming all the way back? If the choke is still closed it has a fast idle screw to keep the RPM's up. Only after it opens does the carb use the other idle speed screw.

well i finally gave up on that choke and got a manual choke for 10 bucks, works good. the high idle problem was caused by my throttle linkage binding, thats also fixed now. after the install was done and tuned i took it for a test drive. for the first time EVER in this jeep im able to spin my tires (33's). i had to celebrate after that. after having the carter, weber, and the motorcraft out of those three i would highly recommend the motorcraft. amazing that the weber was more than double the price of the motorcraft and didnt work near as well. :roll:.....

glad that everything worked out for you. now that its all squared away, do you have any problems with hesitation from a dead stop or flat spots in your acceleration?

I am glad to finally hear someone compare a motorcraft to a Weber. I have heard so many people say including myself that the Motorcraft is great. But I never heard anyone that got a motorcraft after having a Weber so they could make a good comparison of the two, until you just said that. Good to hear you are happy with it. Tell eveyone you know too. Webber is getting beat by over 25 yeah old technology. That's sad. :lol:

Motorcraft is a great deal. Many can debate the MC / Webber chalange. I have never had a Webber but if you do a search here on jeepz about webber you will see so many that are not to happy. Have problems getting them set up right and then there is the cost. Not that all reports are bad just all in a comparision mind you. Then do the same with the motorcraft and you will see a majorly different tone. I thank Bounty Hunter again for being the first to tell me about the motorcraft carbs. He was right they are great. tug

Back