in the market

jeep90

i am currently in the market for another jeep. i sold my 1990 yj, and i am now looking for another one. my question is, besides the power difference what are some other pro's and cons's of the 6 cyl. vs. the 4 cyl. like gas mileage, repair costs, AVERAGE life span of a 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. before rebuild time. i am trying to find a 6 but iif i find an awesome deal on a 4 i may have to take it. thanks for your input/thoughts.

How ever much I love the little 4 banger that can I will be looking for a 6 in the next jeep I buy. Mileage is not that much better and the power diffference in big. No question the six is the best motor to buy. But the 4 banger is still an ok little engin. Sound great in fact better than the six with a good open flow exaust. tug

The 4cyl is a great little motor with good low end torque, you just cant go that big on tires or else you lose all your top end.The 6cyl has great torque and will still do 75 with 33's.Just need to re-gear for larger tires.Offroad, there is no real big difference if the gears are low enough.

I can tell you that my four banger has 164,000 is constantly abused and runs fine sure it has blow by and the oil pressure drops some under extreme load but i wish I had a six unless they would make on rams 1/4 mile longer so I can get up do a decent speed :D owell if it was perfect then it wouldnt be my jeep

Marc

I also have a 4-banger. I can't say I wouldn't like to do an engine swap... but to be honnest, my 4-banger has never dissapointed me. I run 32" tires with it as well. Sure, it isn't the worlds fastest vehical, but why should I be speeding in a Jeep anyway? For my trail use, my engine has never failed me as well. I've been able to go everywhere I have taken her.

I say do what makes you happy!

-Rob

I have a 2.5L 4 banger, and with some mods it will do the job even with 33's. It's a damn reliable motor that is a snap to work on , but it's no rocket and although I'll keep this one for a long time, if I get another it will be a 4.0L.

I'd stick with my I6 anytime. Overall, both motors are pretty equal in stats, but a 6 cyl. will generally take a bit more abuse because it had more cyl. so it can evenly distribute the workload. Just my opinion.-al

I have a 2.5 4 cyl. ,not to fast ,but very reliable, gas milage still sucks, I get 15mpg if I'm lucky. won't do 70, but climbs very good. You can probably pick 1 up cheaper than a 6. No mods are going to make it a rocket, but do help a little. 8) 8) 8)

if you can get a 91 or newer... the FI is a big kick in the I6's butt. I have a 91 with 201k on it... though it still runs strong I just developed an oil leak and decided for a rebuild. The 4.0 is a good engine and has pretty much the same gas milage as the 4 cyl. I heard.

From experience I can tell you that I have had both the 4 cyl and now currently the 6 cyl. While living in Colorado and Wyoming I had the 4 cyl and people who know the midwest it gets very windy. I was lucky to hit 60mph on the highway due to wind. The speed limit out there is 75mph on all state highways. But offroad it was really good but didn't get the gas mileage I hoped it would.
Now i'm back in New York with the 6 cyl and I will never go with the 4 cyl again . I have had my jeep pegged out at over 100mph and if I had another gear i'm sure it would go faster. There is no lack of horse power on or off the road. And with the Random Technologies cat converter and borla exhaust sounds really nice. So 6 cyl is the way to go I get roughly around 19 mph on the highway. And never have any problem driving when it's windy out.

Stay away from 4 cylinders, I hate them with a passion. :twisted:
Who would have thought, 12 mpg on 4 cylinders, that is pretty crappy; go for the 6 or bigger.

My first YJ was a 94 4.0 with two lincoln locker and I beat the bag out of that jeep untill 84K miles when it was totalled, my current YJ get more than it's share of a beating and has 110K on a 4.0, runs great! A friend of mine has a 89 4.2 that he bought brand new, put 225k on the motor, rebuild and put another 60k on it till he sold it. Get the 6 cyl you will not be disappointed!

Not saying anything about the 2.5, cause it too is a great motor, I just have little experience with them.

if you DO decide to get a 6 cyl..... DO NOT get one like mine... mine is dead and tired from plowing... i'm sure my cam is just about rounded to perfect circles... i still have torque... but the power and fuel economy.... pshhh.... nope

I have a 4.0 in my '94 and I like it. I get about 14 or 15 (if I treat her right) miles to the gallon. I've driven her over 80 on the interstate, and she did fine. No big problems, but it all depends on how the person who had it before you treated it. -MerkL

1997 tj 5 speed with a four banger, 140000 miles, clean with a new soft top.....$3500. dude lost his license and wants to sell it. might be worth it four banger or not.

Back