CJ-7 Project Update

Some of you guys seemed interested and paid me some nice compliments on my latest resto project, a 1986 CJ-7 Laredo. I just updated the website with a bunch of new photos. It's now painted and clear coated and nearly done. Let me know what you think.

image-missing.png
Project CJ-7[addsig]

That's an awesome color! Is there a green like that? Is that paint dry, or just really glossy? I want to paint my project a green with that finish when i get it. -Mike

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Jeeper,

Thanks for the compliment. It is a base coat/clear coat system. The base coat goes on in 3 coats and then "dries" (Actually "cures") for 20-30 minutes, then comes the clear coat. The clear coat goes on in 2 coats and takes 6 hours to fully "cure", but in the photos you're seeing, it is "dry".

Believe it or not, as you see it, it is actually pretty dull because it is yet to be color sanded and buffed out. After that is done, it will have the mirror finish and "DOI", or "Depth Of Image" that a show car has.

As for a green pearl metallic, yes, no problem. You can get just about any color mixed in any paint platform. I prefer PPG's Deltron 2000 system. It is a Urethane BC/CC and I prefer it because of its gloss, durability and relative ease of use. Go to your local auto body supply store and look at their color catalogs. All tolled, they should have about 10 phone book sized color catalogs for the various paint systems. Or just look at cars out on the road. When you see a color you like, go to the paint store, tell them "I want the same green color as a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am" for example.

I have to warn you though, this stuff is not cheap, it is not easy to use, and the fumes once atomized through a spray gun literally are deadly if inhaled.

A quart of the paint I used on this particular project sells for $110 wholesale. It takes about 3 quarts to finish an entire CJ-7. Then you have to mix it with reducer ($25/gallon), you need an excellent spray gun to spray pearl metallic properly and you need a very large compressor to power such a gun. Then there is the clearcoat which is about $190/gallon and it too needs additives, etc. My wholesale cost for materials on this job is up around $2000 and that doesn't even count the 500 hours of labor I've put into the body work and painting. So be warned, this stuff isn't cheap or easy and without the right equipment, you'll be throwing money away because you won't get the results you want.

If you have any questions, just ask. I eat, sleep and breath this stuff.[addsig]

Jeeper,

Thanks for the compliment. It is a base coat/clear coat system. The base coat goes on in 3 coats and then "dries" (Actually "cures") for 20-30 minutes, then comes the clear coat. The clear coat goes on in 2 coats and takes 6 hours to fully "cure", but in the photos you're seeing, it is "dry".

Believe it or not, as you see it, it is actually pretty dull because it is yet to be color sanded and buffed out. After that is done, it will have the mirror finish and "DOI", or "Depth Of Image" that a show car has.

As for a green pearl metallic, yes, no problem. You can get just about any color mixed in any paint platform. I prefer PPG's Deltron 2000 system. It is a Urethane BC/CC and I prefer it because of its gloss, durability and relative ease of use. Go to your local auto body supply store and look at their color catalogs. All tolled, they should have about 10 phone book sized color catalogs for the various paint systems. Or just look at cars out on the road. When you see a color you like, go to the paint store, tell them "I want the same green color as a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am" for example.

I have to warn you though, this stuff is not cheap, it is not easy to use, and the fumes once atomized through a spray gun literally are deadly if inhaled.

A quart of the paint I used on this particular project sells for $110 wholesale. It takes about 3 quarts to finish an entire CJ-7. Then you have to mix it with reducer ($25/gallon), you need an excellent spray gun to spray pearl metallic properly and you need a very large compressor to power such a gun. Then there is the clearcoat which is about $190/gallon and it too needs additives, etc. My wholesale cost for materials on this job is up around $2000 and that doesn't even count the 500 hours of labor I've put into the body work and painting. So be warned, this stuff isn't cheap or easy and without the right equipment, you'll be throwing money away because you won't get the results you want.

If you have any questions, just ask. I eat, sleep and breath this stuff.[addsig]

Thanks, Ant. That idea is actually in the works. Once I get into a bigger and brand new shop next summer/fall, I plan to offer pre painted and finished body kits in any color the customer chooses.

Stay tuned for more updates on the project. I'm hoping to have it done in the next month or so provided my suppliers can get me all my parts without too many backorders.[addsig]

Thanks, Baretta! Maybe when I get into my new shop next summer I can do a body kit up for you. Just let me know.[addsig]

Yeah i really like that as well...You did a hell of a job painting that body. Looks good man, keep the pics coming...[addsig]

Thanks, Matt. I'm working on the doors (old style doors with rotary handles), windshield frame, tailgate, hood and rollbar now. I'm hoping to have them all in base and clear by the end of this coming weekend. Stay tuned![addsig]

Thats cool to hear about the bodies. Yeah, keep us updated. My project has been stalled for so many issues, and change in plans. This winter/spring is body time. Whoo hoo.

Again, looks awesome. Cant wait to see more pics of the progress ! Where are you located anyway ?

Jim[addsig]

Thanks, Jim. I'm located in northern NJ. I got held up fixing, prepping, priming and painting the hardtop for the last week and I only just got around to doing the base and clear on the hood, doors, etc today. I hope to have some more photos soon. [addsig]

Back