Bought the CJ!

toyman

I went for the CJ instead of the YJ guys. I drove 2 1/2 hours to look at it and was shocked how good the condition in was in for a 77 model even with 68000 miles on it. He had both tops in almost new conditon. 2 yr. old original colored paint was still like new as he'd kept it garaged and covered with a fitted car cover. He had only drove it 2500 miles the last three years and very little of that was off roading. I did find some surface rust starting to form under the double carpeted flooring though so I'm going to get on this asap before it becomes a problem. I'm planning on using the POR 15 paint on the entire floor inside & out to give a protective sealant to any further rust. I've used this product in the past with great results.

Questions:
Is there anything I need to give special attention to before I start this proceedure?
Any places I need to give extra protection to?
I know that the CJ is prone to rusting & I want to prevent this from occuring.

Well glad you got a Jeep. sounds like a cream puff! Tell us mre about it! Does it have a 4 6 or 8 and what transmission ect.... Throw away the carpet and after you por it hurculiner it. All carpet does is hold mositer in ther right on top of the floor pans. Oh yea and stick after it has been soaked in swamp water for 3 or 4 straight days of muddin! hehehe tug

Sweet man, I hope you are happy with your purchase.Original paint on any cj in good condition is hard to find.Sounds like a pretty sweet jeep.Get some pics on here so we can all have a look.

My tub is extra rusty on the front floor pans, back floor where the floor meets the wheel well, and below the tailgate. I think common bad spots in the frame are mostly in the rear, where the frame meets the bumper (and the shackle connects) and where the rear spring main eye bolts up.

Sounds like you've got one sweet 7. Congrats!

jay79cj7 said:
My tub is extra rusty on the front floor pans, back floor where the floor meets the wheel well, and below the tailgate. I think common bad spots in the frame are mostly in the rear, where the frame meets the bumper (and the shackle connects) and where the rear spring main eye bolts up.

Your jeep is rusted becuase you live in the salt pit of the north. I grew up in palatine, so I am speaking from experience. Lived in that are for 24yrs. They will salt the roads so bad all you can see is pink or white on the blacktop depending what color they used. I have a 88yj I bought down here in florida with no even a spot of rust and no rust protection on it with 188K miles.

By the way has it warmed up yet? My brother in law said you are still in the 30s.

The CJ has the stock 304 2 barrell carb, GM turbo 400 automatic, with the partime conversion installed in the quadra-trac. It has the Bestop buckskin rag top & doors & also the stock fiberglass top with full steel doors. As soon as I can get some pictures taken I'll post them.

I'm going to hoist each end of the Jeep one at a time up in the air as high as I can this weekend and do a thorough cleaning, removing the stock body mounts before I seal it up with the POR-15 paint. Then fiz-can undercoat it. I'll be installing a 1"body mount kit as soon as I can get one delivered. Our local 4x4 shop does not have it in stock. I'm considering the Bestop Trailmax front seats as a replacement for the stock buckets.

Back