Startup checklist

Renegade79

My 79 Cj5 has been sitting idle in the garage for over a year now while i have been doing the body work. Before i start it up this spring for the first time, what are the main maintance issues i need to tackle all around the the vehicle, IE: fluids, plugs, etc. I want to make sure everything is in good working order for the spring and not miss anything that may need replacing. Thanks for the input.

i would pull the spark plugs and spray a little lub in the holes and let it sit for a while to lube the rings and such, after it is back running i would do a complete tune up and change all the oils, and filters, and once it is back running let it idle for a while before you start tearing up the trails again.... good luck :mrgreen:

I hope you put in some fuel stabalizer. If you did not, then you might have problems with that. I don't think is should be all that bad, but it will probably not run too good with "bad" fuel.-al

One thing I would do if a engine sat for over a year is prime the oil pump. see if you can find a junk distributor in the junk yard, you only need the shaft and gear, put it in a drill. pull your distributer out and stick the junk yard unit in attached to the drill. at a very very very low speed, turn the oil pump. this will send oil up to the top of the motor. also do this after the oil has been changed!

I agree with jps4jeep. Priming the pump and circulating the oil through engine is THE most important step before starting an engine that has been sitting for a while.
Added insurance would be to do like far_right suggested and pull the plugs, lube the cylinders and turn it over by hand a time or two.

Back