CJ Starting Problem...starter maybe?

Special_K

I killed the battery on my 1986 CJ (the same one I've been trying half-heartedly to sell for the past year) by leaving the headlights on accidentally. Since it was in the garage, the battery stayed uncharged for a good 2-3 weeks before I tried to boost it. Problem is, when I tried to boost it, I turned the key only to get a fast clicking (almost a ratcheting-like) sound and the engine wouldn't turn over.

Does anyone know what this problem might be? Did the starter decide to die too? Could it be the solenoid?

Thanx!
Ken

I think your battery is done for.Sounds like the battery wont hold a charge.Try jump starting it from another vehicle, if it starts up and doesnt click, then its not your starter.

Your battery may be too low to charge. If they go completely dead they will not take a charge. Also If you run it down far enough your battery will take the charge form the other vehicle and not the starter. I would recomend sticking a trickle charge type charger on it overnight then if the battery is good it should charge. If you do not have one take the battery to Autozone and they will charge it then test it. If you need it to go before that there are two tricks I have learned.

1. Leave the Jump vehicle hooked up for 15-20 minutes this will usually charge the battery enough to start.

2. Be very carefull but you can disconnect the cables from the battery and hook the cables to them. You just have to make sure the posative does not touch anything metal. This will make is so the battery does not get all of the Juice I would use this one last but It usually works for me.

Well I just tried boosting it from another vehicle which has plenty of juice (I was using a portable booster before) and it still gives me the very fast clicking/ratcheting noise with no engine movement whatsoever. I'm beginning to think my starter has died.

Actually, never mind. I just got it to start. Apparently the booster cable clamp wasn't actually making a conductive connection with the CJ's battery terminal. There's a light, almost transparent, film covering the CJ's terminal and battery that was actually insulating it...it was kind of hard see at first.

Thanks for the input!

Ken

Back